Author Topic: Academy 1:32 Sopwith Camel  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Academy 1:32 Sopwith Camel
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:41:50 AM »
I have this kit in my stash so I always enjoy following these build logs. One of these days I'll get around to building it, unless of course WnW takes pity on us.

All in all, you're making great strides!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
I have this kit in my stash so I always enjoy following these build logs....

As do I!
Great progress Erik, I'm following this one closely ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Jan K

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:52 PM »
I'm glad to see a real model building effort among all the WNW kits. Good luck.  :)

Offline ETG

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »
Good luck?

AAAaaarrgghh.....don't you mean BAD luck ?   >:(

After carefully sanding the cockpit walls smooth, I used the same primer I've always used. I do not use it on every model, but at least it never gave me any problems.
I always use this brand because it never lets me down. Academy must have used a special kind of plastic which is much more sensitive to primer. On other kits it sets beautifully.
Until now. I sprayed the inside and let it dry. When I came back to pick them up, I was shocked to see this damage.... Okay....now what...?
Well....I decided to keep it as it is. A bit more sanding and a thick layer of wood color paint should hide most of the damage. Hopefully the cockpit assembly will hide some of it, too.
As long as this is the only damage, I'll be fine. The rest of the model must be painted perfectly.

Sigh.....first big setback....
Let's hope it stays that way.

________
Erik.

Dekenba

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »
I'd not worry too much, a bit of sanding and the PART PE internal fuselage should cover it up nicely.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »
  Erik,
I wonder if the damage you've shown may have been caused by a bit of mold release agent remaining on the plastic? Or maybe your primer wasn't mixed properly. Very hard to tell from a photo. One thing for certain though,I've no doubt you'll be able to make things right. Keep up your excellent work my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ETG

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 02:23:49 AM »
Boy.....am I disappointed at the parts from Part......
Trying to assemble the cockpit the construction just kept falling apart. Some extra reinforcement was needed in the form of
thin plastic strips from Evergreen.
When I tried to fit the assembly into the fuselage, I got a ver nasty surprise: it was way too big.
Great...now what? Lot's of grinding, I guess. Luckily I have a small electric drill and very hard dental drills. Even at this stage I
can recommend other modelers not to use these parts to make the large cockpit assembly. All other parts look fine, but scratch
building the cockpit frame is highly recommended.

_______
Erik
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:39:33 AM by ETG »

Offline ETG

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 02:46:07 AM »
In order to make the cockpit assembly fit, I had to remove ALL protruding parts on the inside. Let's hope I won't regret that
decision, later in the build. And because the rear part is too wide, the fuselage halves still do not close, despite the removal of all
internal protrusions.
I wanted to have the cockpit assembly finished, by now, but trying to fit it inside, as well as trying to keep the extremely fragile
assembly in one piece, has taken up a lot of time. There was little progress.
Sigh..........
I won't give up, though...!  |-)

Offline mgunns

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 02:59:18 AM »
Hello Eric:

You may just want to cut the part PE parts down the middle both upper and lower, and then put the fuselage halves together.  You won't ruin any of the sidewall integrity, but you will at least be able to make it fit.  It won't be seen. 
I hate it when that stuff happens.  Like you say, they probably never built the model or tested their fitment on the actual kit.

Perseverance will pay off.

Best and good luck

Mark.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Dekenba

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 05:52:35 AM »
I've used the PART SE.5a set - I used super glue & kicker to hold it together.

I then had to thin the fuselage quite a bit to make it fit - in fact, it was almost transparent by the end!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 07:49:24 AM »
Part - A wolf in sheeps clothing many a times. It just looks so darned impressive when you look at it on the fret!!!!

Steve

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
I wonder if the Part parts were sized off the Hobbycraft revised kit, that might make sense of the awful fit?

Good to see you soldiering on despite awful setbacks though  ;)

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »
I am not a lover of PE and only use it when absolutely necessary, I prefer to make all my own bits and pieces. Your Camel is coming together very nicely, the wing and tail sanding makes a huge difference to the overall appearance. The reaction you had with the primer seems very unusual, but it looks like it is a problem that can be easily fixed, very little of the cockpit interior is visible once it is all buttoned up. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »
Its almost like they work off of scale drawings as opposed to kit parts - or they take outside dimensions and produce the parts to those measurements - weird. RB I remember your build and how "exciting" the fuselage wall thickness got to!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
  Just as Des I prefer using plastic instead of PE whenever possible. Especially so when building up the interior framework. I do use PE for the smallest details I can't make myself. Somewhere here is my Camel project thread showing the scratch built airframe which to me looks better than the fold up PE frame.

Keep up the excellent work Eric. I've got a feeling she'll be a real gem when completed. Looking forward to the next update my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"