Author Topic: Roden confirm more WW1 kits are in development  (Read 6903 times)

Offline joelrawson

Re: Roden confirm more WW1 kits are in development
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 03:35:20 AM »
My comment does not address kit quality. I have built Roden's Alabatross DIII, Nieuport 28, Fokker Triplane and O-1 Bird Dog and I'm now building Roden's Stearman as a crop sprayer conversion using the William's Brothers Pratt & Whitney engine.  I chose Roden's Stearman over ICM for the conversion because the Roden kit includes a firewall. All are good models. My comments are based on marketing practices alone. Thank you for finding a US distributor, I had never heard of them.

Offline fruibal

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 04:25:25 AM »
I hope that Roden, CSM and SH continue on the path of developing and releasing more WWI subjects at a really affordable price that beats the steep price of other WWI manufacturers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:05:34 AM by fruibal »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 05:40:16 AM »
My comment does not address kit quality. I have built Roden's Alabatross DIII, Nieuport 28, Fokker Triplane and O-1 Bird Dog and I'm now building Roden's Stearman as a crop sprayer conversion using the William's Brothers Pratt & Whitney engine.  I chose Roden's Stearman over ICM for the conversion because the Roden kit includes a firewall. All are good models. My comments are based on marketing practices alone. Thank you for finding a US distributor, I had never heard of them.

Sorry for any confusion. I added MY Random thoughts after showing the link to answer your question/statement. The further comments were not directed at you or anyone in particular  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 07:36:34 AM »
Not to belabor the point, but Evil bay seller rebelalpha has the SPAD XIII for $45 plus $12 for shipping.   It's where I got mine.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 09:45:58 AM »
Not to belabor the point, but Evil bay seller rebelalpha has the SPAD XIII for $45 plus $12 for shipping.   It's where I got mine.

Thanks Ken, Like I said the Ebay sellers seem to be the most economical route!
RAGIII

Offline ermeio

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 05:43:19 PM »
I am happy that they will continue - I have all of their kits
IMHO the low sales for their SPAD XIII depend on the bad distribution of Roden kits
It is almost impossible to find them in Italy or to find them at market prices and not overpriced in EU.
Some shops have them but it seems that they passed through the distribution route and prices are inflated.
The best option in this pandemy period would be to make them available through the big A, but it seems not the case at this moment.
er me

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 06:06:26 PM »
I'm happy as well, I have the 'Early' and will get the 'Late' as well as I really like SPADs and the Hobbycraft is very, very rare around here.

However, the decals are definately a weak point of most Roden kits. I specifically bought the 'Asian Service' boxing of the Cessna O-1 because that had an instrument panel decal that the Vietnam war boxing didn't come with.
The same goes for other kits, like the Fokkers and Albatrosen. 
On the other hand, I'd rather have a decent kit with undecent decals, than the reverse...

Also, other than here on our Forum, there does not seem to have been much promotion. No CAD images (if it was done this way?), no early sprue shots, no built up model to show what it can look like. I'm glad that at lease there are builds here on the Forum, but those aren't very easy to find IMHO. I'd suggest Roden use the power of the web and social media a bit more to spread the word?

BTW, I could get one from my local hobby shop at a fair price :)

Jeroen

Offline loopyloop

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 07:11:37 PM »
You can spread the gospel all you like, I just ain't biting, sorry.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2021, 02:13:32 AM »
The point is you can only make that decision of you're are of it -if you don't know that you can't...

I only discovered Roden did a 1/32 O-1 bird-dog because I followed AOA decals and saw they did a sheet. I wondered what model to put them on, only then discovered that Roden do one...
Normally that'd be the reverse :)

Offline petrov27

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2021, 03:04:59 AM »

Do you have a link to that please? I am not finding it. Thankya
-Patrick

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 05:05:17 AM »
It seems that all of the discussion here is about 1/32 and 1/48 kit wishes, so perhaps I'm out of order.

I would like to see a Roden 1/72 Halberstadt D.II.
Rick

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
It seems that all of the discussion here is about 1/32 and 1/48 kit wishes, so perhaps I'm out of order.

I would like to see a Roden 1/72 Halberstadt D.II.
Rick
I don't think you're out of order at all, Rick. Roden has produced 1/72 kits before as we all know, and one hopes they don't ignore that side of the business completely.

It is almost impossible to find them in Italy or to find them at market prices and not overpriced in EU.
That is a tremendous shame to hear because there are two spectacular Italian decal options in the box. When I was showing my mother the kit she was disappointed I plan to do the RFC one because the Italians - particularly Baracca - are clearly more colourful!

I'm now building Roden's Stearman as a crop sprayer conversion using the William's Brothers Pratt & Whitney engine.
Okay, we will need to see that posted in The World of Scale Models subforum!! As a long-time agplane fan (and owner) I'm very excited to hear more!
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2021, 08:21:42 AM »
I'm happy as well, I have the 'Early' and will get the 'Late' as well as I really like SPADs and the Hobbycraft is very, very rare around here.

However, the decals are definately a weak point of most Roden kits.

Also, other than here on our Forum, there does not seem to have been much promotion. No CAD images (if it was done this way?), no early sprue shots, no built up model to show what it can look like. I'm glad that at lease there are builds here on the Forum, but those aren't very easy to find IMHO. I'd suggest Roden use the power of the web and social media a bit more to spread the word?

BTW, I could get one from my local hobby shop at a fair price :)

Jeroen

I must agree reference the poor publicity other than Here on Our Forum! I am not sure if Roden uses CAD technology so that could be part of the issue. As for Roden using the power of the web, I Agree 100% The only real publicity I saw on FB was a couple of sites after release and where Ken and Myself posted our build results! Hopefully Kens build showed at least some Modelers just how Great this kit can look! Again JMHO,
RAGIII

Offline jamieg

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2021, 01:27:12 PM »
Roden also suffers from the efforts of a dedicated group of attackers who crop up all over the place online whenever Roden kits are mentioned. They engage in deliberate efforts to sabotage Roden's sales and, I suspect, probably have an impact on those sales. They make all sorts of totally absurd comments about Roden and their kits.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 05:16:37 AM by jamieg »

Offline fruibal

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 06:57:45 AM »
I absolutely agreed with you Jamieg, seems like these haters team up together on the web to discredit Roden for no valid reasons.,...I wonder if it is an anti-marketing plan  orchestrated  against Roden and coming  from the fan base of the competition