Author Topic: 1/32 Lancaster (Border/WNW) in box review from MBK  (Read 1503 times)

Offline macsporran

1/32 Lancaster (Border/WNW) in box review from MBK
« on: February 09, 2022, 03:17:28 AM »
Wow! MBK have just received one of the first 1/32 Lancs and have posted a review on YouTube.
It's mostly in German (which is a bit incongruous I suppose for a review of a Tommy TerrorFlieger!) but the pictures tell a thousand (bomber) words.
Enjoy!
Sandy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMXN---eI9U
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:54:29 AM by macsporran »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: 1/32 Lancaster (Border/WNW) in box review from MBK
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 04:32:31 AM »
I bet Sir Peter Jackson is spitting feathers.

::) ::)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 08:46:47 AM »
The Lancaster is one of the kits that killed Wingnuts, something like nine years in development, unknown development costs, zero return on investment due to non release while the company threw mega bucks into other limited sale unreleased projects ( Handley Page bombers) and released two Gotha weirdo things that nobody wanted or asked for.

Rather sad really that the Lancaster should finally see release under another brand. The expected price in Australia is $1100 which is further disincentive.

Just sad really.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 09:36:53 AM »
Still have Tamiya's Lanc in the stash so I'm good . Sure won't be paying that price for model kit

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 03:34:20 PM »
Wow! MBK have just received one of the first 1/32 Lancs and have posted a review on YouTube.
It's mostly in German (which is a bit incongruous I suppose for a review of a Tommy TerrorFlieger!) but the pictures tell a thousand (bomber) words.
Enjoy!
Sandy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMXN---eI9U

The British review copy of the kit might be stuck in Brexit border controls…  :)
Well, seriously, there’s nothing a Tommy Terrorflieger could do to me compared to what my wife would do when I spent 600€ (MBK preorder price) on a plastic model kit….

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 07:13:07 PM »
I remember when WNW announced their plan to release Lancaster I felt it like a hard punch. From the beginning I was showing no interest in that kit, as if I was feeling something wrong was going on. I was even thinking of betrayal of the company spirit and idea. I was somehow feeling that a certain era is getting to an end. And looking at it now, it so well matches the Dave's comment on Lancaster kit killing WNW - as it indeed did some months later...
The second punch I got from WNW, was the release of Fokker D.VII special boxing featuring the figure of one of the most notorious criminals and massive murderers in human history. And their answers to many queries about it, showing no respect to history and those who felt offended by their choice...
So now, everytime I happen to think about WNW demise I am recollecting these two blows...

Once again, as Dave wrote - just sad, really... :'(

Lancaster...  No thank you, pass. Bring me something WW1-ish, please.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 09:27:16 PM »
No interest in a Lancaster. Great interest in a Gotha G.I (got one) and the two Handley Page O/100 and O/400. Still VERY SAD about the demise of Wingnut Wings and afraid that lovely Copper State Models might share their fate, as „we“ are not enough to keep a model company prosperously running. Sorry for my rant here.
Richard

Online KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 02:27:24 AM »
It's not a kit for me (I don't need a Lanc/B-17 etc any larger than 1/72) but I am genuinely excited for those builders who have been waiting for it, excited to see their elation at receiving it, and excited to follow along with their builds. The kit itself is a remarkable achievement.
Zac in NZ

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 10:48:08 AM »
Irrespective of the quality of the Border/ Wingnuts Lancaster the economic reality is that you could buy at least two HK Lancasters for the price of one Border.

Personally I think the 1/32 Lancaster market is small and those who wanted one would have grabbed the HK kit, either the standard, Dam Buster or Grand Slam version.

The Border kit will most likely be a stash filler or merely used for buy/ sell fodder.

Those who buy it to build will have a memorable experience though.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 06:00:27 PM »
Hi Dave,

I think they both cater to different modellers; there are those who will want the ultimate Lancaster and there are those who will focus on a good exteriour finish. I agree that the market for a 1/32 four engined bomber can't be all that big...

If I were in the market for a 1/32 Lancaster I'd go with the Border one, due to the massive effort required to finish such a big model to a good standard, I'd want the best kit possible even if it would mean selling off some stash to raise the funds.
The external finish of an HK will require an equal amount of effort, even if the internals are less complicated. Perhaps even more effort for the HK one, as (depending on one's standards) you'd need to make up for the lesser (IMHO!) external surface details of the HK.

I was very impressed with the video (I can speak and understand German quite well), but when I think about those millions of parts needing to be clipped, cleaned, assembled, base-painted, detail-painted, washed, weathered, etc, and only then there is the huge external surface of the beast, my attention span is far, far too short for that! So I'm not getting one of either. My current 1/32 A-6 Intruder build is about the limit of my attention span and effort, and that is "only"  ~55x35 cm (35cm with folded wings, otherwise about 55x55cm)

Jeroen