Author Topic: 1/72 strut material  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Rick_H

1/72 strut material
« on: November 09, 2021, 05:20:49 PM »
As I've mentioned before, I've been away from the serious WWI aircraft focus for a bunch of years.  (I don't want to admit how long ago is 1984)

Last time I was aware, struts would be cut from Contrail strut material or the smaller, brittle sets of Strutstock.  Looks like those products have vanished, along with the color in my hair and the spring in my step.

What's the current "go-to" solution for struts on 1/72 aircraft?
Thanks,
Rick

Bughunter

Re: 1/72 strut material
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 12:56:49 AM »
The brass struts are no more available.

I do not know a solution in 1/72 but in 1/48 I use wood or squeezed brass pipes from Albion Alloy with soldered brass pins. I have heard from 1/72 modelers using bamboo sticks.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 02:55:04 AM »
I make my own from Evergreen strip. Simple enough to shape the edges by scraping a sharp scalpel blade along them.

Ian

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 11:47:15 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen. 
Seems to me that this element of the hobby has taken a step backward.  But I guess there is less demand for struts now that vacforms are in their twilight.  I do have to admit that if I can consistently squeeze brass tubes, I believe the assembly would be sturdier than using something like Contrail struts.  I will have to be very careful with my remaining supply.
Thanks,
Rick

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 12:30:54 AM »
Hey Rick
Aeroclub used to sell packs of assorted plastic strut material - I think it may have been produced on the Contrail machine. I used to meet John Adams of Aeroclub regularly at the UK shows (but of course haven't seen him for a couple of Covid years.) Last time I saw him he told me the source had dried up - maybe the machine was knackered - and, If I wanted any, I should buy them - so of course I bought a couple of packs.
Aeroclub is no more, but I think John still sells some of his old stuff, so he may possibly have some of the strut material left. Not sure where you are based but, if UK, he will likely be at Telford (if health etc OK) next week, so you could keep an eye out for him if you're going. Otherwise I think he is active on the Britmodeller forum and maybe worth a query?

Of course the plastic stuff is not in the same league as the brass Strutz packs, but I stupidly sold all mine off when I left the hobby pre-Millennium - not realising I'd be back!
Good luck
Sandy

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 04:38:05 AM »
Rick,

As others have said Strutz and Contrail Airfoil shaped rod were the goto products for struts.  I'm patiently waiting for someone to come out with a 'strut smasher' or the like.  Until then, I am running the smallest piano wire I can get from my LHS through 0.9mm or 1.0mm brass tube and trying to smash the wire to one side, then cutting an trailing angle at the top and bottom.  I'm currently working on a project that requires them.  I'll post pics in under construction soon.

Stuart

Offline torbiorn

Re: 1/72 strut materiall
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 07:38:09 AM »
I squeeze styrene rods (in a vise - reproducability to give equal thickness is relatively simple by turning equally every time) of suitable diameter to give them an elliptic cross-section. The leading and trailing edges may have slightly too high radii, but in 1/72 this can hardly be seen, and sanding can fix it if you are so inclined. After squeezing I taper the ends - this is the most time-consuming part but I suppose you’d have to do this anyway with the mentioned products.

I tried a few methods, but that was by far the easiest and quickest.
Here’s an example (these particular ones have narrowing ends rather than being tapered, but anyway).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 02:22:28 PM by torbiorn »

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 04:00:04 AM »
I have both Strutz and Aeroclub strut material and can honestly say that both are a total waste of time in 1:72. By the far the easiest and most accurate way is to make your own.

Ian

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 03:07:38 AM »
Ian - "Make your own" -- from what?

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 11:16:17 PM »
I use Evergreen strip as mentioned above. Shave the edges with a scalpel blade to round them off and add brass pins for mounting. They're plenty strong enough for most 1:72 aircraft and far more in scale than strutz or aeroclub material, both of which I have.

Ian
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:29:00 PM by IanB »

Offline WD

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 09:22:55 AM »
Rick,
       I had friends on the old WWI Modeling List that split, carved, and sanded their struts in 1/72nd out of bamboo skewers. I've seen some results that look great.
Just another possible method to put in your modeling quiver.

WD

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 10:19:49 AM »
My head is spinning from all of these ideas.  I don't think my skills could get decent looking struts from bamboo, or, for that matter, from Evergreen strip.  I always thought the Contrail struts that were properly sized for a 1/72 fighter were too fragile, and it seems that way for Evergreen, too.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 01:27:33 AM »
My head is spinning from all of these ideas.  I don't think my skills could get decent looking struts from bamboo, or, for that matter, from Evergreen strip.  I always thought the Contrail struts that were properly sized for a 1/72 fighter were too fragile, and it seems that way for Evergreen, too.

That was my experience with Evergreen and Contrail as well.  As Ian said, the Strutz are never quite right for 1/72.  Even with the selection of sizes in the packet, they're always a bit too big or a bit too small.  The Contrail stuff was also like this in my opinion.  It took me a number of builds to come to that conclusion.  (Gotta hit me over the head to figure things out sometimes.)  I do like the bamboo skewers idea.  I may have to give that a go as I'm not having the best results with my wire and brass tube method.  I just can't get the tapered ends to my liking.

Stuart

Offline WD

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 10:18:57 AM »
If nothing else, the skewers are as cheap as can be, easily sourced, and if you screw it up, toss it and grab another.
Those I've seen do it, split the skewer, and sand/trim down.

WD

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 04:03:16 AM »
If nothing else, the skewers are as cheap as can be, easily sourced, and if you screw it up, toss it and grab another.
Those I've seen do it, split the skewer, and sand/trim down.

WD
I really like this tip, I'll have to remember it. Thanks WD!