Author Topic: Fokker E.V/D.VIII wing streaking  (Read 11050 times)

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
Re: Fokker E.V/D.VIII wing streaking
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 07:57:46 PM »
Hi James,

I've only recently joined the forum, and while looking for info on the Fokker E.V found your topic. Apologies for resurrecting it after (only!) eight years :D

The links to the photographs seem to have disappeared. Is there any chance that they could be reinstated as I'm fascinated by this new (to me!) information on the E.V/D.VIII wing. I was presuming that the Windsock Datafile was still the go-to source, but I understand that its information is now outdated in a number of respects.

Thanks for any help!

Kind regards,

Mark

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 05:35:06 AM »
Looks like we are lucky here, and he just reorganized his site.  (Sometimes photos are hosted on a third part site that is terminated, and it's gone)

Looks like the photos are now at https://www.craftlab.at/fokker-d-8

Rick

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 08:07:53 AM »
Hi Rick,

Many thanks for that - those photos are phenomenal!

Such amazing work to recreate a wooden structure of such complexity with modern machinery, so all the more incredible that they were production-line produced 100 years ago.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Mark

Bughunter

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »
The selection on colors do not makes sense in my eyes.
Brown/green was not allowed due to likelihood of confusion with french aircraft and why mauve below the wing?
My interpretation and the discussion about the reasons here:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8550.0

Cheers,
Frank

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
Hi Frank,

many thanks for your reply and especially for the link to your superb build. Your choice of colours and reasoning behind that choice makes absolute sense to me.

Let me say first and foremost that I am no researcher: I am a model builder and a historian only thanks to the efforts of those who are researchers.

But it seemed (to me) unlikely that the upper wing surface would contain a brown tone for the very reason of mis-identification of the E.V, which was of course a new type in service and therefore unfamiliar, as an Allied aeroplane. That and the fact that previously German aeroplanes had been coloured green and mauve on their upper surfaces.

I believe I'm correct in saying that where painted, the under-surfaces of German aeroplanes were finished a single tone pale blue.

So it also seemed (to me) that given the stringencies of the late war period that a two-tone undersurface scheme would be unlikely. Also, the mauve on the undersurfaces appears to be a very bright shade whereas I would have thought that it would have been more of a tonal match to the undersurface lozenge on the bottom of the fuselage.

But as I say, I am merely a model builder and no researcher, and bow to the knowledge of those who are!

Thanks again and kind regards,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 05:29:57 PM by 2996 Victor »