Author Topic: Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Heller/Smer Morane-Saulnier MS.230  (Read 1913 times)

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
Re: Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Heller/Smer Morane-Saulnier MS.230
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 11:25:11 PM »
So this is the monoplane used at the end of the Blue Max movie?  Interesting!

Hi Kensar,

yes, it is - here's a link to a bit more information and a few pictures: http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=The_Blue_Max. I wonder if that's a built up Heller kit that James Mason is examining! ;D

There's also information on the other aircraft used for filming, including a genuine Pfalz and a whole raft of dressed-up Tiger Moths!

Cheers,
Mark

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 04:45:17 AM »
Dear All,

just a little progress this weekend with this project. The cockpit panels have had a tint of Citadel Seraphim Sepia. Pupil (forward) cockpit to the left, instructor (rear) cockpit to the right:

I think the wood grain effect on the right-hand clothes peg is particularly convincing.....

My wire has finally arrived, so I've managed to add the internal rigging wires:

The wire I've used here is NiCr80, 0.05mm diameter, intended for e-cigarette mesh.

The wires are held in place with thinned PVA, and were an absolute b*gger as they kept moving about. The forward wire on the port side was out of kilter when I took the pic, but I've hopefully put it right. I'm going to give the fuselage interior a waft of matt clear to hopefully fix the wires.....

I've also had some Airscale bezels and instrument decals arrive:

They're actually 1/48th scale, but the smaller ones will still be perfect for 1/72nd. I'll be able to make the instrument panels now, although I've also got Kora's exterior detail set on order which I think includes a replacement coaming panel so I may wait and see how that looks before I commit myself!

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Mark

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 02:57:10 AM by 2996 Victor »

Offline ColonelKrypton

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 06:56:23 AM »
Coming along, nicely done.

I see Dora Wings has a new Morane-Saulnier MS.230 1/48 kit. Looks nice and is tempting but it would keep me moving away from early aeroplane and WW1 types. There are just too many interesting models to choose from.

cheers, Graham

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 11:38:10 AM »
Fantastic job on the inners so far !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »
Fantastic job on the inners so far !

Alexis
Thanks, Alexis, its the first time I've tried scratchbuilding an interior (I've used etched sets before), so it's quite a learning curve but great fun too. Especially when things turn out more-or-less as I'd hoped :D Lots more to add, though.....

Kind regards,
Mark

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 03:03:08 AM »
The Kora resin external details set arrived today:

Inside, we have the following bits:

And, to compare the fin and rudder, and the tailplanes with the kit parts:

Definite differences with the fin and rudder, the tailplanes are less obvious but nonetheless have a greater span and slightly more rounded tips.

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,
Mark

mbittner

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2021, 11:21:59 PM »
Hi Matt,

There should be a drawing attached: the dimensioned version on the left is twice full size for 1/72, on the right actual size at A4. Hopefully!!! The distance between the two openings when trimmed for the model is approx 4.5mm, but that is a guide only ;)

Cheers,

Mark :)

Thank you!!

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2021, 11:24:27 PM »
Hi Matt,

There should be a drawing attached: the dimensioned version on the left is twice full size for 1/72, on the right actual size at A4. Hopefully!!! The distance between the two openings when trimmed for the model is approx 4.5mm, but that is a guide only ;)

Cheers,

Thank you!!

You're most welcome, Matt. If its of interest, once I've sorted out the instrument layouts (they're different front and back!) I could add those as well.

Cheers,
Mark

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 08:24:56 PM »
I've forgotten which episode I'm up to.....Never mind, ever vaguely onward and upward!

No real progress, per se, although I thought I'd try preparing the Smer wing to see if I made a better fist of it than with the Heller original. So I glued it together with my usual CA at strategic points method. So far, so good. Bizarrely, Messrs Smer seem to have beefed up the trailing edge of the wing halves somewhat, so a very thick trailing edge results. No matter, sanding would sort that out.

An hour later and happy me :). "But", thought I, "there seems to be a slight twist in the wing. Hmm. I'll tape it to a rigid aluminium ruler and use the 'ot water treatment." And that's what I did. Except that the water was far too hot and the whole thing turned into a wobbly mess :( The stupid part of this sorry tale is that I have previous for this sort of thing and obviously haven't learned from the error of my ways. Ho hum.

As far as the inners are concerned, there's been a slight digression. This is attributable to a digression into the world of photo-etched brass for another project, which has opened up the possibility of using that material for the MS.230 cockpit panels and IPs, plus other bits and bobs, too.

More soon, hopefully!

Cheers,
Mark

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2021, 02:11:28 AM »
Fascinating interwar planes. You made a great work so far, looking forward to next steps.
Ciao
Giuseppe

mbittner

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2021, 05:22:03 AM »
Hi Matt,

Cheers,

Thank you!!

You're most welcome, Matt. If its of interest, once I've sorted out the instrument layouts (they're different front and back!) I could add those as well.

Cheers,
Mark

That would definitely be awesome, thanks!