Author Topic: Saggy Wingnut Wings  (Read 850 times)

Offline garfieldingram

Saggy Wingnut Wings
« on: October 10, 2021, 11:42:23 PM »
I have done about a dozen Wingnut kits and am dismayed to see that most have sagging wings. This is true for the long winged types especially, such as the LVG. I don’t believe it is my technique as it is only the flying wires that have gone slack. I use polyester mono-filament that I pre-stretched and attach it solidly with metal lops, Bob’s Buckles and c.a.
My solution is to lift the wings with some Lego blocks and heat-shrink the wires. I will then support the wings with clear acrylic posts outboard somewhere. Btw, I have no internal lights in my showcase and it is in the basement that is dry and a little cooler than the rest of the house.
Has anyone had similar experience? Does anyone have any insight as to avoid this?
Thanks for your attention!
Garfield

Offline macsporran

Re: Saggy Wingnut Wings
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 12:35:49 AM »
After building lots of resin kits over the years, I became committed to rigging with non - stretchy monofilament thread passed right through the wings and glued under tension. Just like the real landing and flying wires, the mono anchors potentially saggy wings rigidly - and, I happen to think, more visually in scale using paint blobs rather than AM turnbuckles (IMHO, sorry, Bob).
I've thirty year old heavy resin wings that haven't sagged a mm! (and mono helps add a little strength to WNW's famous wobbly undercarriages!
FWIW, Sandy

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 04:43:21 AM »
My oldest 1:32 Model is a Roden Albatros D.III completed in, IIRC, 2009 or 10. My first Wingnut Wings Kit was the SE5a done in 2012 shortly after it hit the market. Both are as taut as the day they were completed as are the other two dozen or more WW.I models in my collection.. Like you I use Bob's Buckles, metal loops, and thin CA. The only thing I can suggest as the cause of your problem is possibly the particular mono filament you are using. I have always used a fishing line called Maxima Chameleon:

https://www.maximafishingline.com/products/chameleon/

What do you mean by "pre-stretched"? I use mine "as is" and have never heard anyone here mention stretching their material before use. That could be another thing to consider? I hope you find a solution.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 05:21:09 AM »
Without getting into the"I haven't had that problem thing" it seems you are doing all that can be done at this point with your previous builds. For future reference I personally think Mono fishing line is still the best. I don't use turnbuckles for My builds but do use structural rigging. For me this works well. I even use a cheap 2lb. Trout fishing line. If I am reading your post correctly you are using a line similar to Model Kasten? Perhaps that is the issue on the"long span Wings" JMHO
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline garfieldingram

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 11:33:37 AM »
I’m using a polyester monofilament which I got from my local fabric store. It is pretty strong and my guess is that is around 2 lb test. I pre-sretch it by simply pulling a length of it until it almost breaks. I thought the problem was because the mono was too springy and prone to slackening off due to humidity. (I once saw the models on display at the US Nationals down in the south-east US, all suffered from slack rigging due to the high humidity).
I rig my models on the tight side as WnW kits are so wobbly.

So…I’ll look up that fishing line that was suggested.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 09:00:11 PM »

Same as Lance on the rigging material.
I've had no trouble with Maxima line. I've been using it since 2004 without a hitch.

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 09:20:58 PM »
I mentioned mono thread earlier - but actually when I look in my rigging box, I see it is in fact Maxima Chameleon 2lb line that I've been using for the last several years! - so, another vote for Maxima!!
Sandy