Author Topic: D.VII Tail Bracing Wires?  (Read 914 times)

Offline rfindley

D.VII Tail Bracing Wires?
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:34:56 PM »
In some photos (and instructions, i.e. WNW) there appear to be a pair of wire braces from the outer edges of the stabilizer to the top of the rudder post.   Kind of a mirror image of the underside tail struts.  Was this common to all D.VII's or were they dependent upon individual a/c and/or manufacturer?  TIA

Offline Beto

Re: D.VII Tail Bracing Wires?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 08:33:17 AM »
As far as I know, every D.VII had them.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
As far as I know, every D.VII had them.

Not quite. Early Fokker built DVII Models did not have the wires. Examples would be the Jasta 10 DVII of Freidrichs and Gabriels' Jasta 11 bird. I don't remember when the wires were added. I will see if I can find the info in theWind Sock Fokker Anthology.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rfindley

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 03:25:22 AM »
Thanks RAGIII

I'll keep an eye out for your update.   Good info on Friedrich & Gabriel since I have boon in the works.   Got to go back and add them to Degelow's

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 04:27:59 AM »
Thanks RAGIII

I'll keep an eye out for your update.   Good info on Friedrich & Gabriel since I have boon in the works.   Got to go back and add them to Degelow's

So far a very quick glance has only revealed a note on the Scale Drawings stating that the "Fin Bracing was not universal" I guess it will take some more thorough search.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler