Author Topic: Where it really started - for me anyway  (Read 1456 times)

Offline lone modeller

Where it really started - for me anyway
« on: March 21, 2022, 07:43:03 AM »
Evening All,

Recently I had to go into the loft to get some things down and I stumbled across the following models which represent most of what I have kept over the years and many moves from my former incarnation as a modeller. They are important for me for what they represent - a turning point in my modelling experience - not for the quality of the builds or the sad state that some of them are now in.

For almost all of my teenage years I was frustrated because I wanted to make something different from what was supplied as a kit, and although I avidly read articles by A Hall and others in Airfix Magazine I rarely took up the challenge and was invariably disappointed with the result when I did, which further deterred my from trying again. One day I remembered reading about a conversion kit for the Me 262 night fighter - a two seat conversion from the single seat variant. A Hall had written an article on just this topic in Airfix Magazine a year or two before and had followed it with another article on simple conversions to other variants of the single seater in a subsequent issue. My problem was simple - I wanted to build the two seat night fighter but I could not mould a new canopy: the conversion kit (from Airmodel) provided the canopy, radar antennae and DF loop for the princely sum of 4 shillings and sixpence in real money (23 pence in todays' currency). Given that the Revell Me 262 kit cost about 3 shillings (15 pence) at the time the conversion kit was not cheap......but it offered a potential way forward for me. I had to provide my own markings but I could just about do that so with much trepidation I went ahead. The result, rather the worse for wear after 50+ years was this:

I do have most of the missing parts but they refused to stay in place when I tried to repair the model for photos...... I now know that the colour scheme is wrong - but in those days we simply did not have access to the information which is available today. Imagine my joy when I finished this my first ever successful conversion. From now on I was freed from the tyranny of the kit manufacturer -   because I could make something different - even if I had to rely on another manufacturer to do so. I quickly took the opportunity to try something else:

This is an Me 262b-2a which was the two seater with an extended fuselage to accommodate extra fuel tanks. The model has lost an undercarriage leg - hence the paint pot support, and the colour scheme is entirely fictitious because I did not know what the original looked like. I used the Airmodel conversion kit and balsa wood inserts in the fuselage: my brother kindly made the radar aerials from wire soldered together. I was on a roll and more of A. Hall's conversions followed:

The above represents the Me 262A- 1a/U3 with cameras mounted in the nose. The nose bulges are probably too large but were very simple - filler over pieces of scrap plastic! Another was a little more adventurous:

The Me 262 A 1a V-O83 armed with a 50 mm cannon in the nose. Again the colours are wrong and the number on the side is too large and too far back - but as I did not have a photo at the time I was not too bothered - I had a conversion!

Another easy A. Hall conversion, (once I had overcome my hesitation to risk ruining a good kit), was the Heinkel He - 22 V1 launcher, this time using the Airfix He 20 and Frog V1 from the Spitfire XIV/V1 kit:

I was also learning how to achieve better paint finishes as on this Monogram Messerschmitt Bf 110C in JG1 Hornisse markings:

I was trying to use an airbrush at the time but failed to get to grips with such complex technology so I stuck with good old hairy sticks instead.

I learned some very important lessons by making the above models:

1. Keep things simple - stupid. Then as now I only used basic tools and equipment - most problems can be overcome with a little thought and what is lying around on the table. All problems have solutions - I just have to find them.
2. Expensive tools can take a long time to master - and therefore rarely if ever get used properly by me. Better to spend the money on something that I will make good use of.
3. I can because I think that I can. I have no training in craft skills or painting, but I know others who do and I have a tongue in my mouth. All I have to do is overcome my fear of failure and give something a try. I do not always succeed, but I do not give up easily either.
4. My mistakes shout very loudly at me and I can constantly hear and see them: other people seem to be deaf....and blind. (Or they are very sensitive to my feelings).
5. I have the freedom to do my own thing and be what I have always been in life - the odd one out. That is where I am happiest.
6. If I had not taken that first step over 50 years ago and cut off the top of the rear fuselage of the Revell Me 262 kit I would not be making models today - I had to start with something and that was a simple and easy way to start.

If you have got this far, thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Where it really started - for me anyway
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 01:29:42 AM »
A walk back through time can show you just how far you've come.  Your models show a progression in your skill improvement.  Interesting stuff.
Your comments also reflect a change in your mental attitude and the realization you are not bound by what others provide (sell) to you.
Free your mind and the rest will follow.  ;)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 05:36:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing these Stephen, how wonderful to have glimpse back!

Last year my father discovered a banana box full of my teenage builds I thought long lost, it was a wonderful nostalgia trip - a couple are good for restoration, some for kitbashing, the others just curiosities/relics of my modelling development like yours.

For my sins my first use of aftermarket for a conversion is online for all to see (I even had some unpleasant comments about the quality which got to me at the time, but ah well)!
Zac in NZ

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 07:02:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing your beginnings. Very interesting read. And, please, keep your models coming, they are always interesting, they bring that "something different" you have just written about. And that makes them so much special!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 11:03:25 PM »
Stephen,
    Thanks for this, a wonderful look back to the beginnings of your unique model building experience. Your quest for "something different" has resulted in your one of a kind Scratch Built models being a prominent and much enjoyed feature of the Forum. You are fortunate to have some of your earlier works still surviving, I regret that nothing of mine survived the passage of time. Ironically my first attempt at a conversion was also an Me 262 single to a two seat night fighter version; I used a hand carved balsa canopy form and plunge molded the canopy using some clear plastic material heated over the kitchen stove burner and a balsa wood insert for the extended fuselage. I think it was an Airfix model but it could have been Revell like yours. The radar array was scratch built with sprue.
   Great little tale of your earlier days in the Hobby, thanks for sharing it here.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 08:00:46 PM »
Stephen,
thank you for the deep insights of your hobby!
This invites me to show my own roots.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 01:45:25 AM »
Interesting reading Stephen. I too, had an epiphany of sorts  with wanting to change/add detail to kits. I did a few Airfix vehicle conversions from plans in Military Modeller and haven't looked back. I'll see if I can get pics when I visit my Dad in November as I know those are still in the loft.

Ian