Author Topic: New WWI model builder from Canada  (Read 1675 times)

Offline cecil

New WWI model builder from Canada
« on: September 26, 2021, 12:14:51 AM »
Hello all!

I am a brand new to this forum and am a bit overwhelmed by the expertise :-|. A bit of background, I am an engineer by background, university professor and business owner (medical).  During COVID, I found an old Sopwith Camel model that my wife had given to me for Christmas some 20 years ago when I told her that one of my great pleasures as a youth was building model airplanes.  It had been gathering dust in the attic so I proceeded to build it the "old fashioned way" using enamel paints, brushes, sewing thread for rigging etc.  It was awful(!), but highly enjoyable :-) I decided that I should upgrade both my skills and technology and am now a competent airbrusher and learning weathering techniques, etc. (you can see what I'm working on at scalemates - cecil). I also was pleased (at the time) to see that there was a company called Wingnut Wings that had some beautiful WWI models, which I planned to order when they came back from their COVID-19 break :-(.  Long story short, when I realized that they were no longer in business, I proceeded to scoured the world for hobby shops that still had inventory...purchasing 25 kits :-|  Anyway...that's my condensed story.

One question for the forum.  I'm traveling to see my daughter at Oxford, UK in October.  I will be spending some time in London, Oxford and Cardiff.  I'm open to any suggestions for cool hobby shops, WWI aircraft museums, book shops that have WWI aircraft collections or any other points of interest for someone that is quickly becoming serious about the hobby.

Thanks and I'll look forward to your thoughts...Cecil

Offline ColonelKrypton

Re: New WWI model builder from Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 12:57:43 AM »
Welcome Cecil, It is nice to see another Canadian on the forum.

Relatively small in numbers compared to other online forums, there is a seemingly boundless level of skill and knowledge and one of the friendliest online forums I have found.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 01:57:38 AM »
Hi Cecil,
Welcome to the forum.

If you make it to the RAF museum, Hendon, a short walk from the main gates will lead you to Hannants London. The shop is open from 11 am Thursday through Sunday.

Enjoy your stay in blighty.
All the best,
Bob  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 03:03:09 AM »
Welcome to this nice forum! I'm sure you will find here a huge number of interesting threads.

And thanks to the hint to Scalemates. I noticed, that you follow me already there ;)

Happy modeling!
Frank

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 03:04:07 AM »
Welcome, Cecil
Yes, Battle of Britain Museum, Hendon and nearby Hannants Colindale are essential visits in London. Maybe Imperial War Museum although it's way across town.
Not sure what the situation is post-Covid but the Shuttleworth Collection is in Bedfordshire, not too far from Oxford. If you're lucky you might get a flying day.
The English are OK by and large, but come up to Scotland for a real treat!
Sandy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 05:42:51 AM »
Hello Cecil and welcome to our neck of the woods . Great to have here and hope to see your builds soon .

Alexis in Edm Alberta !
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 08:17:44 AM »
Welcome to our wonderful little club Cecil, as you've probably determined already there's no end of good advice, info, and help to be had here for the asking. Enjoy!

Cheers, (from beautiful downtown Cold Lake, Alberta.)
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 09:05:59 PM »
Hello Cecil

A warm welcome to the Forum and I'm sure the very friendly folk here will make you welcome. We would love to see what you are working on and our members are happy to help with questions and modelling advice.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 10:07:13 PM »
Welcome to the best ww1 forum in the world. The knowledge here is infinite. Every time you'll browse through the forum you will find new useful information about our great hobby.
Have fun here, greetings from Germany.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RichieW

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 04:33:08 AM »
Welcome Cecil! I highly recommend a visit to the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire. The aircraft are all airworthy and the smell of castor oil in hangar 1 where they house WW1 aircraft is intoxicating. 

Best wishes
Richie

Offline cecil

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 05:43:11 AM »
All,

Thank you all for your warm reception and encouragement.  Happy to see there are other Canadians with interested in the hobby! 

My apologies for not responding earlier, but my trip to the UK was cut short when I fell ill and ended up in hospital here in Canada.  Nothing life threatening, but I was laided up for about a month and just now getting back on my feet.  I hope to participate more in the forum over the next few months and look forward to getting back to my latest model (Morane Saulnier type N - see scalemates: cecil).  :)

Thanks

Cecil

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 10:40:42 AM »
I'm sorry to hear of your health troubles Cecil. Hopefully in time you'll be able to pick up where you left off your UK trip.

I hope you'll share your Morane progress here as well. After seeing glimpses of one taking shape in the recent Sir Peter Jackson documentary I've found myself interested in them!
Zac in NZ

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »
Welcome Cecil!  I'm happy to hear you are on the road to recovery.
 It is always good to see a fellow Canadian join up!

Cheers,
Ernie ( from Balmy Saskatchewan) ;)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 12:21:48 AM »
Missed this earlier. Hope your health problems are behind you and have had time to do some model building. Barrie ON for me. Nice to see another Canadian.

Steve

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 02:17:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum, it's a great place for WWI modelling.
Ciao
Giuseppe