Author Topic: Royal Aircraft Factory Fe2b in 1/144  (Read 8784 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Royal Aircraft Factory Fe2b in 1/144
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 04:04:33 AM »
More masterful modelling in the braille scale. I really admire those of you who scratch build in this scale because everything is just so tiny and there is so little material around which can be adapted or canabilised if needed. The detail on this model is truly inspirational.

Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 06:48:46 AM »
Thanks for explaining the decals making process William.

I made notes  :)

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2021, 07:19:47 AM »
Staggeringly brilliant William, my roar of laughter has been reduced to insane gibbering. 😀

Richie

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2021, 09:50:24 PM »
That is just too damn small!

Kudos, Sir!

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2021, 09:53:23 PM »
Just wow! :o With my clumsyness I would inhale it on sight.
Chapeau!
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline DaveB

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »
Wow, we!

Stunning work on such tiny scale ............

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline William Adair

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 09:46:50 PM »
If you put a piece down how do you find it again?

Sometimes when I'm doing something especially fiddly and keep dropping it, I just say the hell with it and get down on the floor and do it there!   ;D

Here's where I picked things up again a couple of weeks ago.  Almost two years to the day from where I left off.  Some of the tasks ahead of me seemed almost insurmountable back then.  But I've managed to finish a few other projects in the meantime and each one helped me come up with solutions to various problems.

The first thing was the cabane struts.  These are more decorative than structural as the wing struts are already nice and solid.  I ended up doing them in styrene rather than brass or silver.  One handy thing I discovered when test fitting struts on my earlier Pfalz and S.5 builds:  dip the ends of the struts in water when you are doing the test fits - the capillary action helps hold the strut in place and lets you move it about without having it fall to the floor all the time!   8)

I also could not think of a decent way to do the vertical struts on the booms properly.  Previously I had inserted some .2mm rod down some .5 or .6mm tube and flattened it to make the aerofoil section.  The extreme ends of the tube bit into the rod however and caused one of them to snap after it was soldered to the booms.  Grrr!

I had a eureka moment the other day and realised there was an easier solution.  My strut stock is sterling silver wire that has been flattened to the right proportions. So I cut them to length and did a saw-cut line down each end with a jeweller's saw fitted with a No.7 blade.  This created a notch that the .2mm wire could fit into.

I soldered the .2mm wire into each end then shaped the struts to give them a bit more a taper. The scary bit was threading them into the location holes that I had drilled in the booms back in 2019 and finally soldering them in place. To my surprise though, the slot which held the .2mm wire acted like the nib of a fountain pen. As soon as I touched the soldering iron to it, some of the solder in the slot remelted and ran up the wire to locate it to the boom.  Phew!   ;D

Some more shaping needs to be done, but the main assembly is actually pretty strong considering how fine it is.  I don't want to tempt fate too much though, as the two horizontal struts that complete the box assembly are only butt joined.  Best not to overhandle it...

The B'1 codes under the wings had me stumped too.  There was nothing remotely like them in my spares box and was uncertain as to how I was going to do them. In the end I thought I would have to leave them as black dots and hope something came along later when the rest of the model was finished. I've become less reliant on ready made decals of late however, and I suddenly realised the other day that I could just print the blummin' things myself.   I found an image of the Wingnut Wings decal sheet online and scaled this down in photoshop, using it as a guide to draw my own. This was printed out on an A4 piece of paper. Then a bit of clear decal was taped over the spot and the paper fed back into the printer again. Which gave me this:

The printed decal is black with the B'1 portion in clear. To get around this I cut a slightly smaller disk of white decal and put it down first. Then placed the black decals over the top. Not bad for an afternoon's work.

After that I was able to get the undercarriage assembled.  A mere 15 parts   :o
I had spent a week or more fussing over these bits back in the day, so it was nice to have them drop into place with only a small adjustment needed to one of the supporting struts.

That's where its at for now.  I think the gravity tank and some of the rigging will be next.  I'm hoping to get most of the front end done before the booms get attached.  I'll add more as it happens.

Cheers!

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 10:38:50 PM »
I just drop to the floor every time I look at the progress and your pictures of it...

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2021, 05:17:51 AM »
Another gobsmacking update William, 15 separate parts to that delicate little undercarriage!!!! I just know more amazement is going to follow because I get the distinct impression that every single wire is going to be added. ;D

Wonderful stuff, I am really enjoying this!

Richie

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2021, 09:49:38 PM »
A nice tip about soldering the boom struts - I'll have to remember that.
Continuing to be amazed   :o

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 10:59:13 PM »
   Amazing work! The "Fee" is a difficult model in any scale, but 1:144?!?! I've been following your progress closely and every update is more impressive then the last ...... I am absolutely blown away by the detail you produce in a scale that makes my mind want to explode! (von Buckle's earlier mushroom cloud says it best!) Great modelling, and compliments on great results!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2021, 03:47:26 AM »
Got to agree with all the previous comments, especially Lance's about the difficulties with the FE. I put a Trafford-Jones undercarriage on my 2d which was hard enough - I do not think that I would even try in this scale!

Stephen.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2021, 09:43:14 PM »
Thank you again everyone for the kind encouragement.  I think this will probably be the most difficult model I will ever build.  However when each individual step is looked at in isolation they aren't that bad.  I try to remind myself that there are 1/700 ship modellers out there who deal with parts this size every day of the week!  :)

I've been putting off the gravity tank under the port wing, but finally got it built and in position today.  The tank itself is just a piece of 2x2mm styrene strip filed to shape.  The feet are simplified slightly but seem to look okay once the thing is stuck in position with a couple of dabs of PVA.

I almost copped out of doing the feeder pipe that runs down from the tank and along the cabane strut to the engine.  I imagined it being a real contortionists trick, but in reality it wasn't that bad at all.  I fitted from behind the wing, which was much easier than from the front.  Which was what I originally planned.  Before glueing it in I gave it a light coat of dark brass/copper coloured paint to take the sparkle off it.

I also did a bit more shaping to the struts in the boom to give them more of a taper. The whole shebang was etch primed and given a top coat of MRP sail colour and a mix of  raw umber and ochre artist oils to hopefully suggest a wooden look (hope it isn't too orange).

That's it for now.  I'm doing the tail skid assembly as we speak and hope to share some more pics soon.  If there are any resident FE.2 experts out there; I have a couple of questions about those booms....

The modern reproduction aircraft seem to have red warning tape around the four booms in line with the propeller arc.  Was this also done during the war, or is this a modern precaution?
The other question was the chord bindings which wrap around the tail booms.  All 76 of them...  Can anyone suggest what colour these should be?  I thought a mid grey colour with a hint of brown might do it, but figured I'd better check before committing another colour-blind blunder.   :-\

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2021, 11:18:25 PM »
I am seriously considering starting collecting stamps.... :o

Willem

Offline William Adair

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
Me too!  Stamps are much bigger and easier to handle.   :-X

I never thought I would ever get to say it, but here's Day #1 of the rigging...   I'll do most of the wings before attaching the tail. That way I'm partially insured if anything goes horribly wrong.

I'm using this stuff for the wires. I roll short lengths of it out flat then cut them to length. Each ones get a wash of grey paint to take the shine off before they are glued in with some watery PVA.