Author Topic: Revell 1/72 P-47M Thunderbolt  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Revell 1/72 P-47M Thunderbolt
« on: August 07, 2021, 07:59:53 AM »
i've been feeling the need for a bit of american muscle so will be giving this P-47 a go, for £9 it's a very nicely detailed kit.

The obligatorily box and sprue shots (sprues already been primered in white)

I was missing the correct(ish) shade of green for the interior so thought i'd make a start on the engine, it's a very nice unit which comes in 3 pieces and for 1/72 it's quite large.

The largeness was my downfall as it meant there was room for adding stuff, so 72 holes, 54 individually bent bits of wire and some time later here it is with some added spark plug tubes and cylinder head breather pipes (at least i think that's what they are). A bit of dry brushing on the bell housing and it should be somewhere near complete.

I now have some green so cockpit painting is also underway...

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Revell 1/72 P-47M Thunderbolt
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 05:18:56 AM »
Love the details you added to the engine , following along  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 09:10:17 PM »
Nothing like a 2800 to take up space!! Nice upgrades

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 11:58:52 PM »
    Nicely done on the engine, details like those are the secret to the difference between just assembly and real model building. Great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 05:44:28 AM »
Love some Jugs!!!

WD

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 12:34:52 AM »
thanks for the comments guys, i haven't had much bench time recently but i have managed to get the p-47 fuselage buttoned up. The interior is just detailed enough, i think the green is too dark but if you look at 20 pics of p-47's you'll see 20 different greens so it'll do.

It took a bit of fettling to get the floor/bulkhead assembly to sit properly inside the fuselage and the first few dry fits showed the fuselage halves weren't going to meet in the middle.

After some filing and scraping i was able to glue it all together with no gaps

the wing root fit was generally good with just a bit of fettling needed and no need for filler.

The paint went on ok and i'm pretty happy with the end result, it just needs some varnish then decals. As usual all brushed on with Humbrols finest enamels. I managed to knock off one of the gun barrels during the process but is an easy fix

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 09:39:00 PM »
I see this one is going very quick for you  :) Nice brush work on getting the camo laid down .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 12:04:49 AM »
I see this one is going very quick for you  :) Nice brush work on getting the camo laid down .

Alexis
thanks, it always feels quick when you don't have to think about drilling rigging holes prior to paint  :D

I give each coat of paint a buff with fine finishing pads this helps keep the paint layers smooth and thin, the end result leaves no ridges between demarcation lines and it removes pretty much all brush marks

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »
Nice work!

Steve

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 04:12:49 PM »
thanks for the comments, tis very much appreciated.

The topside decals are all done, just need to do the underside. I've finally finished painting the baby sick green for the undercarriage bays (it's the first time i've tried to brush on Mig ammo acrylic paint and it's been a bit of learning curve to get it thinned properly) and have fitted the tail wheel housing, the next update might even see this one finished...

Done in the markings of the 62nd fighter squadron, 56th fighter group from Boxted 1945

Offline Early Bird Fan

Re: Revell 1/72 P-47M Thunderbolt *finished*
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 04:40:45 PM »
this build is now finished, i've seen a few pics with the upper engine cowl off so decided to cut the one piece cowl so the engine could be seen. I know the bay probably isn't 100% accurate or that highly detailed but it's still nice to see a bit of engine. It's a nice kit from Revell and for just shy of £10 you can't really go wrong. As usual it's a hairy stick paint job with Humbrol enamels

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 09:43:21 PM »
Excellent final results. I envy your brush painting abilities.

Steve