Author Topic: 1/72 Airfix Albatros DVa  (Read 3408 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/72 Airfix Albatros DVa
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 07:04:51 AM »
You're definitely making good progress Dave, I really get the impression that this a real feel good build. I'm certainly enjoying following it.

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »
Thank you, Steve -

Yes, making good progress on this one mate

Thank you Richie -

At first it seemed a daunting project, but as I've got into it yes, your right I'm enjoying more now.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 10:52:25 PM »
agree with the above, the guns and engine have come out really well and will certainly lift the model. Looking forward to the next update

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 01:18:23 AM »
Awesome work on the engine! All is looking great.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 05:06:09 AM »
Thank you Early Bird and Rick!

Engine and MG's have now been painted and installed within engine bay.   Added some ammunition feed chutes to gun breeches and glad to report the guns fitted perfectly and aligned correctly with the engine.

Also added the small oil tank (made from 2.5 mm plastic rod cut and sanded to shape) on starboard side of engine sadly only just visible in this photo.

I was then able to install the cabane struts.   The standard kit has the location of these in completely wrong place.   I therefore repositioned to where they should go.  However, the kit cabanes are not quite wide enough to go where they needed to.  Rather than make complete new struts I simply cut away the inner, angle strut.   This allowed me to stretch out to correct location.

To replace this strut part, I filed down 'flat' some fine plastic rod and glued these in place

These struts were then aligned against the location holes on the underside of the top wing to ensure a good fit of the upper wing.   I was worried that if I re-arranged the cabanes this would throw the geometry of the top wing and location of the interplane struts.   I need not have worried as test fitting proved this not to be the case - phew!

The next stages will be to paint and decal fuselage; rig elevators and undercarriage the work on prop and spinner.  More to follow in due course.

Regards

Dave

Offline RichieW

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2021, 05:25:56 AM »
Excellent update Dave, I'm becoming intrigued by the idea of these old kits. This is a very inspiring thread!

Richie

Offline FAf

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2021, 05:30:53 AM »
Great work and well presented! Looking forward to seeing next step.
/Fredrik

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2021, 06:41:22 AM »
some all round lovelyness going on here, am thoroughly enjoying seeing this build come together

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2021, 07:00:34 AM »
This is really turning a sow's ear into a silk purse Dave. This will be a one-off with distinction - and unrecognisable as the Airfix offering!

Stephen.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2021, 10:15:30 PM »
Many thanks, gents -

Yes, this one is really progressing nicely now so will have some more progress to report soon.

Regards

Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2021, 10:56:16 PM »
Excellent work. The engine looks fabulous with it all in place and your work on the struts is awesome!
RAGIII

Offline DaveB

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2021, 03:30:50 AM »
Thank you, Rick!

A little bit work carried out - installed the spare prop after painting this and the spinner which I had altered to fit it. 

I made up a backing plate by laminating two pieces of fine plastic sheet.  Once dry, drew out the profile (by drawing around the spinner) then cutting and trimming to shape before glueing in place.

In between this I have painted and decalled the fuselage after which I rigged the undercarriage and elevators.

The next stage will be to paint the upper side of the lower wing and the underside of the upper.    For rigging I will use standard Uschi elastic thread for the elevators and smoke coloured mending (monofilament) thread for all else.

More to follow

Regards

Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2021, 03:39:55 AM »
Awesome update! The painting and markings look Terrific! Looking forward to the rigging!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2021, 04:57:35 AM »
That really is looking good Dave, especially with the flag marking on the fuselage. This will certainly be a winner when it hits the club table.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2021, 05:04:09 PM »
Beautiful work Dave, this is progressing very quickly and is going to be a little stunner.

Richie