Author Topic: 1/32 Royal Aircraft Factory BE 2a  (Read 13585 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: 1/32 Royal Aircraft Factory BE 2a
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2023, 01:01:40 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Richie, Dave, Zac and Fredrik for your kind comments: as always I very much appreciate them.

I used thin strips of marquetry wood for the ribs behind the pilot's cockpit: I varnished them first to make them slightly more rigid. I also lightly sanded the cut edges to remove any small pieces which had not cut cleanly. The ribs were applied with superglue - centre first and then one side followed by the other:

The tail skid was next. I had already made the pillar and supports so all I had to do was carve a skid from wood and make a spring from thin copper wire wrapped around another thin piece of wire, and superglue the parts into place:

I also fixed the wing skids while the model was inverted.

The elevators were straightforward to fit - some small holes and thin wire in the solid one to help hold it in place. The open structure was simply cemented in place. On both I had added wood horns before fixing to the model. The rigging was completed - the control wires to the elevators and the remaining anti-drag wires to the front and rear: that was a relief as it removed all but two of those dangling threads which seem to invariably get in the way. I was just thinking about adding the wheels and propellor when I noticed a major omission..... I had completely forgotten to add the leading edge riblets to the exposed wing structures!! This was a consequence of the fug which affected me when I was making the wings - I had lost concentration and was so relieved to be back working on the model at the time that these were overlooked. Fortunately they were easy to put into place and paint, but it could have been a much more serious an oh dear moment. They were made from 10 x 30 thou strip which had been curved by running them through the tip of a pair of tweezers:

I drilled the tyres on the wheels to insert two small pieces of rod: these will be inserted into holes in the base on which the model will stand and stop it from moving about when the model is in transit around the house or on longer journeys. The wheels and propellor were put into place and now the model is finally finished......

This one has been nearly 17 months in the making - a record for me when a model has not become a shelf queen, which this one so nearly did. Thanks to all who helped to keep up my spirits when I was making this and giving me the motivation to keep going.

There will be more photos and information on the type in the completed models gallery shortly.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:44:48 AM by lone modeller »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2023, 06:54:57 AM »
We'll always have your back, Stephen  8)
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2023, 07:01:37 AM »
Beautiful job Stephen, the stringers of the turtle deck are immaculately placed. I struggled to do that on my project so skinned them!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing more photos and hope to see it for real soon. It looks beautiful!

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2023, 11:04:10 PM »
Awesome work Stephen. It is really nice to see that you incorporated so much wood in the model.

It gives a very realistic touch.

Willem

Offline Davos522

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2023, 11:16:00 AM »
Just when I think I'm catching up with the posts on this forum another one comes along that I find I have to read from the get-go. And each time I find myself more and more in awe of the workmanship that you folks are capable of. Really looking forward to going back to the beginning on this one, the 2a has always been one of my favorites.

Congrats on finishing this project. It's amazing.

Dave V.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2023, 09:39:31 PM »
Congratulations on finishing this project, Stephen.  Your use of wood really sets this one apart.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2023, 11:14:26 PM »
Wow Stephen, I hadn't checked in on this one for a while and it's certainly grown into a very impressive model. Can't wait to see more pics.
Sandy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2023, 06:36:13 AM »
Many thanks gentlemen for the very kind comments: they are much appreciated.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2023, 11:39:58 PM »
Great to see this Outstanding build finished! Impressive in all aspects!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2023, 07:43:38 AM »
Many thanks for the kind comment Rick.

Stephen.