Author Topic: What airbrush are you using?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline DeLano80

What airbrush are you using?
« on: April 25, 2021, 12:55:39 AM »
Getting back into the hobby. Been out for maybe 18 years.
What type of airbrush you all prefer these days? And as a side, how about compressors?
Back in the day, I believe I used the Paasche VL.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: What airbrush are you using?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 01:05:27 AM »
Badger 100G airbrush and a sil-air 20 compressor.

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 01:17:42 AM »
Harder & Steenbeck Infinity (very easy to clean) with sil-air 20D compressor.

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »
Another vote for H & S, been using them for years.Tamiya HG-SF is my backup, lovely to use also but fiddlier to clean up thoroughly.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »
I use a Paasche Eagle Talon TG and one of those generic hobby shop compressor .

Alexis 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:06:41 PM by Alexis »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 10:52:26 AM »
Well it goes against the fashion of the day but I'm a brush painter.

Airbrushes are great but brush painting has its benefits too.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 06:37:40 PM »
Harder & Steinbeek Silverline Evolution; a great painting machine. I recently bought a H&S Infinity as well to do even finer work.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 10:40:01 PM »
I have 3 airbrushes that I use for different tasks.

My main one is a Iwata HO C+plus. I use this for 90% of my painting. It can cover about a 1/2" down to about 1/16". My very fine detail airbrush is a Gunze 270. For covering really large areas when I really want to lay on the paint, I use a single action Paasche HP-3. My compressor is/was made by Bear Air, It's a dual piston with a gallon air tank and a Badger regulator/moisture trap.

Chuck

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 11:15:31 PM »
   I have two Iwatas from their Hi-Line Series, an HP-C with a 0.3mm nozzle  for regular work and an HP-BH with a 0.2mm nozzle for finer detail and small jobs. Really like them both, easy to keep clean and still performing like new after nearly 10 years. My Compressor is an Iwata "Smart Jet Pro" which has also performed flawlessly since new.
   I used a basic single action Paasche VL for 25 years or more before stepping up to the Iwatas. I'd say as long as you go with a reliable "high end" brand with good support and availability you can't go wrong....... the technology and quality has come a very long way in the past 20 years! In my group of Model Builder friends the H&S and Iwatas seem most popular with the odd top line Badger in use; personal preference plays a large part as well. Biggest caution, you get what you pay for, watch out for the "knock-offs"!
   Welcome back to the Hobby and good luck with your search and purchase.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 01:28:01 AM »
Thanks all for the replies. I was wondering how or if tech has changed for airbrushes. I will look into all of them that you have posted.
I appreciate it.

Offline ColonelKrypton

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 12:22:48 AM »
For many years I have used my trusty Passche VL which is still available and is comparable to the Badger 175. Solid and reliable.

I also had a Passche H which I gave to a friend who wanted to give airbrushing a try. He still uses to this day. A basic single action airbrush that is solid, reliable, and with practice can do just about anything. A very old design and still available.

I felt like getting a new airbrush this year and got a Passche Talon TG which I quite like.

I looked long and carefully at the Iwata airbrushes but in the end I felt that their smaller bits and pieces seemed a bit too delicate for my liking. Don't take that as being dismissive, Iwata are high quality with excellent fit and finish and capable of very fine work. I just didn't think they were or me. 

Never had the opportunity to handle a Harder and Steinbeek airbrush. They seem to be highly spoken of. When I went shopping for a new airbrush I could not find a stocking retailer in Canada so I gave them a pass.

You may find this website has some helpful information:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home

cheers, Graham