Author Topic: Armstrong Whitworth Siskin *Finished!  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Armstrong Whitworth Siskin *Finished!
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »
Great work. So you can see that the kit doesn't matter, when the modeler is highly skilled.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2021, 07:09:33 PM »
Ah thanks all,

It’s heart warming to get such a nice reaction. I think this kind of old kit is one that stirs our nostalgia for the hobby!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
Re: Armstrong Whitworth Siskin
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2021, 01:10:35 AM »
Good fun though, these really do take me back to a wet Saturday afternoon in my childhood!

Guy

Hi Guy,

apologies for this bit of thread resurrection but as a newbie to the Forum I'm still discovering the hidden gems! I just wanted to add my two penn'orth and say that this is a fantastic build.

As for wet Saturday afternoons, that's exactly my memory - walking to the corner shop from my Nan's bungalow, all of five minutes away, to buy a Siskin in that lovely yellow and blue plastic, and then building it sat at the table while dinner cooked. Happy memories! I'm slowly collecting nice examples of some of the more meaningful/memorable kits from my childhood, and this kit is one of them.

I've recently bought another Siskin, but the box is a bit knocked about (as most are, of course) and some of the parts are off the sprues, so I'm going to build it :) :) :) Not sure what to do about the markings as the kit decals haven't aged well. Hannants have Siskin-correct roundels in their Xtradecal range, and there are also correct-pattern serials available from Ventura and Modeldecal so a simple squadron marking that I can mask and spray is most likely.

Thanks for sharing your build, it's truly excellent.

Cheers,

Mark

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2021, 01:33:04 PM »
I'm also a bit late to the party but wanted to say what a super
job on an old model...very well done, Guy!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »
Outstanding work Guy! I made that kit when it was first released in 1974 and loved it, one of Matchbox's best kits in my view.

The Siskin is one of the few aircraft kits that would tempt me back to 1/72 scale and your model is a true showstopper.

I'm really hoping Airfix will do it in 1/48 scale, along with a Gloster Grebe too. Those interwar fighters are sadly under represented by the model industry.

Many thanks for sharing your Siskin with us.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2021, 05:07:29 AM »
Ah thanks  :)

Yep, it really is a great kit. Go for it Mark, it’s what’s modelling is all about  ;D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2021, 08:12:42 AM »
Ah thanks  :)

Yep, it really is a great kit. Go for it Mark, it’s what’s modelling is all about  ;D

Guy

Well, I've managed to find a copy of Alfred Granger's Dataplan 3, plus a couple of magazine articles, so I should be well set for info!

I've actually made a little start and drooped the elevators, plus started scraping down the fuselage sides to thin them in readiness for a bit of interior detail.

I've been trying to find  NIVO for the antiglare paint found on some Siskins in my preferred acrylic, or failing that a mixing formula. AKAN list a ready made NIVO, but tracking down a supplier is proving interesting!

Cheers,
Made