Author Topic: New 1/72 Rumpler C.IV kit  (Read 6878 times)

Online Beto

Re: New 1/72 Rumpler C.IV kit
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 05:24:18 AM »
Viewing the pictures shown at the Ukranian site, only the small parts are 3D printed. The fuselage, wings, tail, elevators, rudder, nose cone(s) etc are casted in resin as any other kit. And 61.67€ for a 1/72 kit is way too much for me... unless it's a whole Zeppelin!  ;D

Offline PaulW

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2021, 05:32:25 AM »
Just got this kit from Hannants - yes it's expensive but the detail is pretty impressive, as good as anything I've seen in this scale. You get a choice of noses, either with or without the spinner, and a full decal sheet for 8 planes plus a photoetch sheet of cockpit details and the various nose panels. Oh and the ailerons are all molded separately.

Offline WD

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2021, 09:43:50 AM »
Thanks for the quick, in-box assessment Paul. I have to agree with Beto though: $75.00+ (US) plus shipping is a bit rich for my blood.

WD

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2021, 09:48:44 AM »
Any pictures of the kit bits that you can share Paul?

Cheers,

Brad

Offline enathan

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2021, 01:54:50 AM »
This kit is, well, different.
I'm not familiar with kits produced in 3D printing and I don't know if the large number of 'gates' for each small part is obligatory but it certainly looks complicated to define, remove and clean these parts. I am familiar with regular resin mouldings, and the kit's main parts have heavy 'gates' that will require a lot of careful sawing and sanding. The lack of detailed instructions makes it a bit more difficult, there are only photos of some of the assembled parts - cockpit interior, guns etc. The decals and PE look excellent. All in all this kit is a welcome (though expensive) addition. 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 07:16:58 AM by enathan »

Offline enathan

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2021, 02:09:30 AM »
Some of the parts. Yes, one of the wing struts is crooked.

Offline WD

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2021, 12:31:53 AM »
I wonder if they'll make good on the crooked wing strut?  For $75.00 U.S. 1/72nd scale kit, I'd sure hope so.

WD

Offline MoFo

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2021, 04:31:20 AM »
I'm not familiar with kits produced in 3D printing and I don't know if the large number of 'gates' for each small part is obligatory

They are.  They support the print as it's building.  You can see what happens when they don't connect properly from the damaged strut.

Cleanup should be pretty simple.  You can nip them off with a pair of sprue cutters, and sand the nub off with a file or sanding stick.  If they connect on surfaces that will be hidden, you can just pull them off; they'll probably leave a little divot on the surface, so you wouldn't want to do it on the really delicate or visible surfaces, but it's a quick way to deal with the supports.

Offline enathan

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »
I bought this kit from a Ukrainian seller on Ebay, as I was offered a somewhat lower price of $70 including shipping.
I asked the seller to replace the crooked parts and he said I will get a replacement either from him or from Print Scale.
To be continued...

Offline WD

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
Please let us know how this turns out enathan.

On a different note: a friend of mine published on his blog this week that 3D printing is on the cusp of its "Windows 95" moment. It won't be long now before 3D printers get lower in price for higher end resolution. Instead of paying someone for a kit, we'll just purchase the STL file and print it out our selves. I remember reading that this is how it would turn out in a model railroading magazine in the late 90's, and we're almost there.

WD

Offline enathan

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2021, 11:25:44 AM »
I was notified today that a new parcel was sent to me from Print Scale. So far so good.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:01:43 PM by enathan »

Offline MoFo

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »
On a different note: a friend of mine published on his blog this week that 3D printing is on the cusp of its "Windows 95" moment. It won't be long now before 3D printers get lower in price for higher end resolution. Instead of paying someone for a kit, we'll just purchase the STL file and print it out our selves. I remember reading that this is how it would turn out in a model railroading magazine in the late 90's, and we're almost there.

No.

Quality isn't really an issue, and prices for printers aren't far off from a decent airbrush.  But we're a long, long way off from printing your own model kit.  Usability has a long way to come - it's a messy, smelly, dirty, slow process that seems to be beyond a lot of users - 3D printers are still very much tools, not appliances you can just plug in and use.  And most modellers don't and won't want to deal with the hassle.

But far more than the machines, there's essentially no way to handle the software side.  There are few sites that distribute files for free, and some people trying to sell files with various degrees of success, but basically no real established way to distribute files to customers and, most importantly, ZERO DRM to combat piracy when you do.  So the few places attempting to commercialize files get widely ripped off with files posted for free elsewhere, and are ridden with people who themselves are ripping off other artist's (free) works and attempting to charge for them.  I do a lot of CAD for scale modelling and I'd never even dream of selling my files, because you pretty much have to assume that while you may sell the first one, every subsequent print you see will be pirated for free.  And there's zero way to combat it, and almost no interest among the community to combat it - quite the opposite, the 'open source' nature of the 3D printing community means a lot of people would actively complain if it became more commercialized.

Offline enathan

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2021, 02:42:26 AM »
Replacement wing struts from Print Scale have arrived today, end of story.