Author Topic: Hanriot HD.9 - 1/72nd scale Roseplane vacuform HD.3 kit  (Read 858 times)

Offline Stuart Malone

Hanriot HD.9 - 1/72nd scale Roseplane vacuform HD.3 kit
« on: March 05, 2022, 08:59:48 PM »
My apologies for not posting much lately.  It's been busy times here.  I'm coming down to the wire on my areas of planning for our local model contest, KCCON 2022 on March 12th in Kansas City, MO hosted by IPMS Great Plains and IPMS KCAMPS.  Had to get in the shameless plug.  We didn't have a show last year due to Covid, so it's been interesting gearing back up, getting some new people and ideas incorporated into the contest.  Anyway, if you are not up to speed on this model, see my post on this in 'Under Construction' here:  https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12882.0

This is a sympathetic restoration.  I think I built this in the 90s, maybe early 2000s.  I have no idea what paint or colors I used on it, and really didn't want to completely strip it, tear it apart and do a rebuild.  This was my first real big conversion so I wanted to save it.  The paint is banged up, there are old glue marks from repairs, and at least one scratch built cam cover missing on the cowl.  I may go back and add this in, but for now, I'm calling it done. I tried using split bamboo skewers as representative of faired double flying wires.  They are way too big.  I'll use this method on my next Spad, just get it to scale. 

This is the penultimate shelf of shame model, only one more to go.

Stuart

Online RAGIII

Re: Hanriot HD.9 - 1/72nd scale Roseplane vacuform HD.3 kit
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 01:14:39 AM »
Another nice save Stuart! Like I said in your build log you have inspired Me to go back and fix My SE5a!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 02:57:24 AM »
Another excellent restoration Stuart. Old models should never be thrown away - they are always open to resurrection as your shows very well.

Stephen.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 10:40:57 PM »
Great work restoring this one, Stuart -

Well done!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 12:00:29 AM »
Good save Stuart.

FWIW, I've yet to figure out a way to represent the double flying/landing wires for the SPAD VII/XIII builds that I want to do.

WD

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 12:09:44 AM »
Good save Stuart.

FWIW, I've yet to figure out a way to represent the double flying/landing wires for the SPAD VII/XIII builds that I want to do.

WD

This May Be Crazy but... In 1/72nd scale I wonder if stretching Evergreen I Beam strips like sprue would work?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 02:00:23 AM »
Good save Stuart.

WD

This May Be Crazy but... In 1/72nd scale I wonder if stretching Evergreen I Beam strips like sprue would work?
RAGIII

Great idea.  I will give it a try.

Stuart