Author Topic: Clipping your brushes...  (Read 930 times)

Offline ETG

Clipping your brushes...
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »
Dear group,

A few years ago I tried an old trick I learned somewhere else: clipping the tip of my brushes.
Yes, simply cutting off the tips of my brushes. No, not cutting the whole tip off, but cutting off only a few protruding
hairs at the tip of a brush. This drawing should explain it all :

I always wondered why my small brushes painted the same fat lines as the larger brushes. When painting with
acryllics you soon find out how fast the paint dries... When a small amount of paint ends up on the very
tip of the brush, where only a few hairs can be found, an obstruction is created and precision and fine detailing
goes out the window.
When I take a larger brush, like a number 1 and clip the tip, I can draw very fine details. A larger brush holds
more paint, therefor the larger quantity dries more slowly, allowing the tip to stay wet. And since the tip is
perfectly flat and even, more control can been obtained. Mind you, the newly created tip is still only a few hairs
wider than it was earlier, only with more benefits. The principle is like that of a calligraphy pen. See drawing.

This clipping is for pointed brushes only, from No. 0000 to No. 2. It won't matter cutting larger brushes, since
they are rarely used for fine and delicate painting anyway, but it DOES work, should you want to try it.
Warning: be VERY careful in clipping your brushes !! Cut off only the very tip, the few protruding hairs.
Try it, and let me know if it works for you.

In case you have doubts about this trick, let me assure you I showed this trick to many modelers, with success.
I promised, that if it didn't work, I would buy them a new brush, and not the cheap stuff !  I never bought any one
of them a new brush !  ;-)

________
Erik.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 08:37:49 PM by ETG »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Clipping your brushes...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »
Thanks, Eric.  Great tip. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:31:58 AM »
Very useful tip Erik. I'll be trying this immediately.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
What a useful tip, thank you very much!

Warren

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 04:40:28 PM »
  Thanks Eric for an excellent tip my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
Erik,
 Thank you!  ;)

Merry Christmas!

Von Buckle