Author Topic: Photo-edited Lighting Effects: WNW Fokker Eindecker E.III, 96/15, Buddecke  (Read 2581 times)

Offline rhallinger

Hi all!  I have been playing with the lighting effects on my i-Phone photo-editing, to see if I could mute the bright green grass color of my photo scene for model aircraft, and wanted to get your opinions on the few I have tried.  I think the effects are pretty neat, but they change the tone of the model as well.  Of course, all of this deals with the effects of light and photography on color and scale, and the question of how we want our models to appear.  The variables are numerous, and I won't go down that rabbit hole of theory and practice, but instead just ask for your impressions of how these look and which ones you like.

The model is the WNW 1/32 Fokker E.III, 96/15, in Turkish markings as flown by Hans-Joachim Buddecke during one of his stints in Turkey.  The Buddecke figure is pre-painted by John Jenkins. 

Normal i-Phone image without light effect editing:

Buddecke Fokker E.III 96/15 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Dramatic Warm lighting effect:

Buddecke Eindecker, enhanced lighting. by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Dramatic Cool lighting effect:

Noir lighting effect:

Normal i-Phone image without lighting effect editing:

Buddecke Fokker E.III 96/15 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Dramatic Warm lighting effect:

by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Mono lighting effect:

Silvertone lighting effect:

I think this simple photo editing feature is pretty neat, and allows us to present our models in a variety of modes.  It is really simple to do on the phone by just duplicating a photo then pushing edit, the tonal feature, then scrolling through the various tones until you see one you like.  Takes about 20 seconds per photo.  The Dramatic Warm sort of reminds me of colorized b/w photos, and mutes the bright colors significantly.  The Dramatic Cool is in between full color and Warm.  The Noir and Mono are sharp b/w.  The Silvertone reminds me of old sepia tone photos.  I am having fun with this, but it will never replace the fun I have at the modeling bench. 

What are your thoughts on these variations on a model theme? 

Cheers,

Bob 

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
The 'Dramatic Warm lighting effect' looks like a hand tinted postcard

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Gisbod

I like the dramatic effect best Bob  :)

I would recommend the app - ‘Snapseed’ on an iPad. It allows a lot of editing but is very simple and intuitive - I use it for my general portrait/street photography (If anyone is interested - gisbod on Instagram).

I did dabble in photoshop, but frankly, it was way too complicated for my little mind  :P

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline rhallinger

Thanks Richard.  That’s the correct description for what I was thinking of with the the Dramatic Warm.

Thanks for the tip Guy.  I will check that out.  I am all for simplicity, the older I get! ;D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline hrcoleman66

Hi Bob.

Another thing to try is change the white balance setting in camera.  Fiddle around with it and see what you get.

Also, in lightroom, you can change the colour temperature (if you shoot in RAW) and then if still required, you can adjust your saturation my each color.  I'm always pulling the green back in my Astro shots.

Cheers,

Hugh 

Offline macsporran

I like the 'Dramatic Warm' best - tones down the grass a little.
By the way, with all that clear space, why does Buddecke insist on standing in the only pile of horse dung for miles?
Sandy

Offline rhallinger

By the way, with all that clear space, why does Buddecke insist on standing in the only pile of horse dung for miles?
Sandy

;D  Thanks Sandy.  Made me laugh!  Those Jenkins figure bases are a pain.  I have vague notions of figuring out a solution at some point (maybe cutting them off and making a flatter substitute), but other matters always seem to take precedence. ;)

Best regards,

Bob