Author Topic: Feedback requested - possible new metal undercarriage struts for 1/32 aircraft  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Monty

Hi Kit, Thanks for posting, and a big Hi! to Ali - an ex-S'African we still miss! Yes, struts in metal would be great - and the WNW kits don't always need replacement. As I have said before, my DVII undercarriage legs survived 2000Km on a car journey standing on said legs! Ali will tell you about SA roads... but replacement struts for the Roden kits would be great, especially the Albarossen DII and DI and DIII... The Tripes are good though, but the Pfalz may be a little fragile too... I have no idea of the sales potential but would take two DIII sets in a heartbeat...
Regards,
Marc.

Offline Kit

Francisco Guedes was kind enough to turn this into a poll on Wingnut Wings Fans FB page.  For those interested results so far;

Albatros D.V/Va 68 votes

Fokker D.VII 41 votes

Albatros B.II 33 votes

Sopwith Camel 28 votes

RE8 17 votes

Felixstowe F2 14 votes

Sopwith Snipe 13 votes

DH9 11 votes

Gotha G.IV 11 votes

Rumpler C.IV 10 votes

Gotha G.I 9 votes

Halberstadt 3 votes

Bristol F2B 3 votes

LVG 3 votes

Pflaz D.III 2 votes

Offline Kit

Bump, for any final suggestions, will collate comments from all facebook pages & this forum and send them off at the end of the weekend.

Online RAGIII

If struts for WNW kits is all that is of interest the results of the survey are pretty accurate.( Although I managed to build 5 DVIIs' and 4 Albatros DV/Vas' without issues.) I would just like to emphasize that Roden is Still a Viable operating Business and brass struts with longer locating pins would go a Long way towards making kits like the Albatros DIII, Pfalz DIII, SSW DIII, Se5a etc. easier to build/mount the wings. IMHO, the only real issue with the Roden kits! Best of luck with the products!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ringleheim

I have built 6 or so WNW kits in 1/32 scale, and none of them had weak undercarriages that I felt needed to be beefed up.

That may have something to do with the planes being rather small as 1/32 scale goes, and so they are not very heavy, as compared to, say, a 1/32 F-15!

I would still consider a metal undercarriage upgrade if I felt a given model needed it, however.

Offline Pup7309

Hi, really hoping this project goes well. I have just broken some WNW DV struts on the sprue. Have re glued but good lesson about being careful of fragile structural bits. Cheers:D
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Kit

Sounds like he is keen to go, probably starting with Albatros DV / DVa, Fokker DVII and some of the Sopwiths.   Possibly Copper State Nieuports as well.

I will send struts and undercarriage of everything I have doubles of that got half a dozen votes or more - which is basically everything except the Gothas and Albatros B.II - though if all goes well I may send B.II too. 

He said he will look into making generic struts but noted difficulties for the modeller, (they are not extruded but cast). 

Not sure struttage for Felixstowe or Gothas will be practical, if he changes his mind I can help with Felixstowes, but I only have one each of the G.IV, G.1 and UWD.   

Offline Pup7309

Great news!

Offline drdave

Alby struts would be handy. I always pop one cabane and I must have done 10 by now.

Offline Pup7309

Hi
Just curious how this project is going? D