Author Topic: SPAD XI night fighter with search light  (Read 1903 times)

Bughunter

SPAD XI night fighter with search light
« on: February 02, 2021, 03:05:50 AM »
The wikipedia article of the SPAD XI mentioned a night fighter version with a search light in front of the propeller.
Really in front of? That could be a nice project so I searched a bit around and found this picture on flyingmachines.ru:

The generator seems to be belt driven from the airscrew, sitting below the engine.
That is really a crazy construction!
Has anyone seen a model of it or any drawings?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Berman

Re: SPAD XI night fighter with search light
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »
There is a very good close up photo of this aircraft showing all the details of all struts, generator, belt drive, and spotlight in French Aircraft of the First World War published by Flying Machines Press. Also good four view  drawing with fuselage cross sections. This drawing shows the standard Spad XI version.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 06:36:33 PM »
There is a very good close up photo of this aircraft showing all the details of all struts, generator, belt drive, and spotlight in French Aircraft of the First World War published by Flying Machines Press. Also good four view  drawing with fuselage cross sections. This drawing shows the standard Spad XI version.

A book I wasn't aware of, and checking the second-hand prices one I'm not going to own!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:02:33 PM »
Thanks for the pointer (I own this book). Oh yes, nice and detailed picture!

Cheers,
Frank

Online acewwi

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:34:14 PM »
Thanks for the pointer (I own this book). Oh yes, nice and detailed picture!

Cheers,
Frank

Hi Frank,
on page 166 of Spad two-seat fighters of world war I, by Flying Machines Press, has a plan and details of nightfihter prototype SPAD 11 Cn2, with the searchlight.
Spyros
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 02:57:55 AM by acewwi »