Author Topic: Squadron closing ?  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Ringleheim

Re: Squadron closing ?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 02:51:36 AM »
Sad to see them go, thanks for the insights on their demise as it seems the seeds were sown a decade or so ago.

But, we have good stores available and hopefully those publications and other assets will be picked up here and there.

I have to say, observing their business practices from afar, mostly, and having bought a few things from them recently, I am not surprised to hear this news.

Offline WD

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 05:59:15 AM »
Sad to see them go, thanks for the insights on their demise as it seems the seeds were sown a decade or so ago.

But, we have good stores available and hopefully those publications and other assets will be picked up here and there.

I have to say, observing their business practices from afar, mostly, and having bought a few things from them recently, I am not surprised to hear this news.

I'm not surprised one bit either knowing what I do from friends that were there during the sale from the original owner. However, there are a lot of us here who well remember 30+ years of great service, good products being brought out, and their advancing our hobby greatly during that time that are saddened to see it turn to this.

WD

Offline James Reagan

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 01:03:39 AM »
I have delt with them for over 50 years and over the years as a modeler and retailer and had excellent service. Only in the last couple of years have I had any issue.  I ordered items that were "in stock soon"  and had to cancel items than never arrived for several months.  I did order a 1/16 scale Tamiya Jagdpanther kit, however that did arrive within a few weeks.

I was looking at my personal stash of their specialty decals and found stuff I doubt I'll ever see again.  Their ENCORE  Roden series of 1/32 WW1 models were outstanding models.

Offline WD

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 12:08:37 PM »
Well, looks like there is some good news on this front. Always nice to see a hobby retailer NOT go under.

From David Knight's blog:

"For modelers of my age and older, Squadron Mail order and the Squadron shops hold a special place in our heart.  The decline that took place over the last ten years was fairly sad.  The good news is that the trademark, trade name and website were purchased out of the bankruptcy and a new group has resurrected the name and website.  It is to soon to know if this will be a success, but I am rooting for them."

FWIW,

WD