Author Topic: Eduard Decals for Meng 1/32nd DR1  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Vickers

Re: Eduard Decals for Meng 1/32nd DR1
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 07:42:05 AM »
Cutting Edge already provided us with a Klimke set in 1/32nd, so for me unless I switch scales that option is redundant. I'd have rather seen a Baumer or von Wedel option on these new Eduard sheets. Perhaps Aviattic or Pheon will provide us with even more choices in the future.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline petrov27

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 08:13:47 AM »
Well glad to see they are offering a little more variety with these additional sets. This feels like a new thing for Eduard - I do not recall them doing decals for kits not their own (or boxed as their own)?

At some point I hope to do the Jacob's God of the North Wind scheme in 1/32 - these look like they might be the trick though I think I have some decals from the original Roden set.
-Patrick

Offline Vickers

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »
Actually there are Two sheets shown. Funny thing is I am working /Planning the Jasta 6 version of the Udet bird and the red band with yellow X on My current builds. Oh well they will look better painted on anyway  :o
RAGIII[/quote]

As is often the case in our hobby, someone is usually ahead of the market- as though their personal sacrifice is what catalyzes the industry. My first all resin kit was the 1/32nd Rutman Fw 190A-8 and, sure enough, Hasegawa released their well-kept secret about 30 days after I put my Rutman in the display case. I'm glad that I built it, though, because it presented many unfamiliar challenges requiring some tedious and sometimes difficult solutions thus forcing me to expand my horizons at the workbench.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 11:17:38 PM »
I just saw that Eduard will be releasing a boat load of 1/72nd decals for Fokkers, both DVII and DR1. I guess they are really getting into the decal business. I have Mixed feelings about this but if there is a Void someone will fill the opening!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kajones1644

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 11:23:04 PM »
I have read on other forums that the new inhouse manufactured Eduard decals aren't the best with very thick carrier film. Apparently you are able to peel the carrier film off as per HGW but this is more by accident than design. The results when doing so can be very hit and miss.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 03:04:33 AM »
I have read on other forums that the new inhouse manufactured Eduard decals aren't the best with very thick carrier film. Apparently you are able to peel the carrier film off as per HGW but this is more by accident than design. The results when doing so can be very hit and miss.

While I applaud their efforts, it's why I'll probably use very few decals from their "Spitfire Story" edition and opt for the Fundekals and Victory Productions sets that I have in my stash. Here's a demonstration video that shows quite a bit of damage during the process. He starts the film removal process at around minute 5 and it looks like a cleaner tool with a different shape might've been better... who knows?

https://youtu.be/ZATsJoDBzq0

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 03:18:04 AM »
After watching the video ...forget it ! An extra step having to pull off a film and having to be super careful just adds more frustration to a build . Any future kits I buy from Eduard and the decals will be replaced .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline errich45

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 05:38:31 AM »
Here is another video, which, I think, gives a more thorough explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs7W7ZAxeA

Offline tomcervo

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 02:47:59 PM »
Hoping for one of these beauties.

Offline kajones1644

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »

While I applaud their efforts, it's why I'll probably use very few decals from their "Spitfire Story" edition and opt for the Fundekals and Victory Productions sets that I have in my stash. Here's a demonstration video that shows quite a bit of damage during the process. He starts the film removal process at around minute 5 and it looks like a cleaner tool with a different shape might've been better... who knows?

https://youtu.be/ZATsJoDBzq0

Vickers
Same here. Plan to use masks and other AM decals on my Eduard Spits when I get around to building them. I am not knocking Eduard but given the negative feedback they remain silent regarding the decal issue which I find odd as their customer service is first class.

Offline loopyloop

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 09:38:43 PM »
A HA that,s more like it but now I will have to buy another triplane, Isn't life a drag!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 10:48:35 PM »
Dear me, what a lot of negativity.
Some of the posts on YouTube look pretty ropey but one French guy shows how to initially release film with masking tape and IMHO I think the result looks superb - a real painted-on effect.
I certainly look forward to giving them a try.
Sandy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs7W7ZAxeA

Online RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2020, 04:46:51 AM »
Dear me, what a lot of negativity.
Some of the posts on YouTube look pretty ropey but one French guy shows how to initially release film with masking tape and IMHO I think the result looks superb - a real painted-on effect.
I certainly look forward to giving them a try.
Sandy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs7W7ZAxeA

Yep, It seems Many Modelers actually Prefer to peel off backing and also don't gloss before decaling  8) I do need to make a correction reference the 1/72nd decals. It seems they are actually  to be included in special release kits  Called "Fokker Fokker"
 ;D
RAGIII
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:23:36 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Vickers

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 05:00:30 AM »
That gentleman who used the tape is the first demo I've seen that didn't show damage to the decals. Perhaps Eduard is onto something, but I've seldom had any problems getting conventional decals to settle down and weather into the surface.