Author Topic: Plastic kit of German WW1 submarine SM U-9 (-10, -11,-12) in 1:72 on the horizon  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Borsos

Still not very sure what to think about this company with its strange aestetics, but setting this aside, a 1:72 scale plastic kit of a WW1 submarine got my attention and I can imagine I am not alone:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/das-werk-dw72001-wwi-german-u-boat-sm-u9--1311705

To be released in Jan 2021....
Best regards,

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline FokkerFodder

Hi - there’s an early review on ‘themodellingnews’ site.... it looks pretty good with a lot of research behind it (included as a booklet with the first releases I think): I have to say I’m tempted! Cheers Matt

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
I've been looking for a while for a decent WWI U-boat kit, and I think this will be the one. When I watch the video's it looks like WNW quality!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:30:48 AM by Rookie »

Offline rhwinter

Still not very sure what to think about this company with its strange aestetics, but setting this aside, a 1:72 scale plastic kit of a WW1 submarine got my attention and I can imagine I am not alone:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/das-werk-dw72001-wwi-german-u-boat-sm-u9--1311705

To be released in Jan 2021....
Best regards,

Andreas

Your words are mine, Borsos!

Offline Jeff K

this is very much a dream come true for me. this thing will be radio control and terrorize the sea lanes of the Gulf of Thailand... well, the small mud ponds and fish farms that are very close to the Gulf.

the ultimate dream would be Max Kennedy Horton's E9, but not holding my breath. would settle for decent plans.

but this thing? i'm SO there.

Offline FokkerFodder

Ps Andreas - I also agree with your comment on the aesthetics of the brand....

Offline Jeff K

Ps Andreas - I also agree with your comment on the aesthetics of the brand....
yep.

Offline Pup7309

Cool!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline mgunns

I saw this wheni was at Andy's over the past weekend, (21 November 2020) and it looks like neat model.  Here is a video of Andy building the model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z9T2yxpHAg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR04SJ9IQTq8vvQzNE5LyPt1Zar0UY4MHGLEHo9IXJ0loX3R1HKYhJI2kGg
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
I might get me one of these... It's both large and small enough, and the weathering potential is great indeed.

As far as I've gathered – das Werk is Modellbau Koenigs "own brand", and since Andys and MBK are in cooperation, I guess Andy got a test shot directly from the supplier.
Ushi, who's close to MBK as well, has one, using it for developing a laser cut dock to place it in. Apparenly there are figures in development as well.

As for the brand, well it did get my attention the first time I saw it. Not too sure about the aestestetics either though...

/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
I did a build of their 1/32 plane, the Junkers JU EF-126
https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/das-werk-dw32001-junkers-ju-ef-126-elli-ef-127-walli--1265418

nad I must say, it was a mixed experiance. Some details are great, the instructions were very nice and the fit was very good.
But some parts were very thick, like the trailing edges of the wings (a full 4mm thick!!) and some things were missing (in that scale and for that price there should heve been a (simple) pe frame with at least a seat harness)  and very much missed were decals for the instument display.
Decals performed ok, so all in all, a decent kit. If the submarine is of the same quality, should be a winner. Just my 2 cents