WW1 Aircraft Modeling > WW1 Aircraft Dioramas

1/48 vehicles and other accessories for dioramas?

(1/1)

[email protected]:
When I decided to go for 1/48 as a compromise between space and detail I didn't stop to think about how I could dress up the dioramas that I'd end up wanting to do.  Since then I've (quite accidentally) stocked up on 1/48 British WW1 kites and now (other than several different versions of 1917 Model-T ambulances and railway rolling stock) I can't find much in the way of cars, trucks, motorcycles, carts or other accessories.  I've found a few RFC figures, which is a good start, but can anyone point me in the direction of a source or two, please?

Bluesfan:
Ah, I was just about to mention RPM's variations on a theme of the Ford Model T in 1/48, but I assume those are the exact ones you've found.
(Have you spotted that Toro Model - Polish resin producer - make driver figures for those ambulances?)
1/72 seems best served for vehicles etc suitable for vignettes/dioramas, especially if you don't mind resin.
And in 1/32 you have some choices if you're okay with the 1/35 compromise. Aviattic and Copper State have a few very nice items in 1/32 of course.
But 1/48 has been largely bypassed as far as I'm aware, despite being a favoured scale for WWI modellers.
I don't really know, maybe there just aren't enough WWI airfield scene modellers to justify some vehicle kits. Anyone?

Cheers
Mark

Bughunter:
Have you tried to search at https://scalemates.com ?
There is also a huge kit database included, which you can filter (on the right side) for scale, category and so on. You may find also sources at the specific kit page.

Cheers,
Frank

[email protected]:
@Bughunter and @Bluesfan, thanks for the responses.  I've looked on scalemates previously and come up with a blank. 
One avenue I'm looking at is the old Matchbox 'Yesteryear' die-cast models, which are marked as 1/48 and have a few early examples that could be made to fit the vignettes I have in mind--roughly analogous to the cliched 1940 RAF pilot pulling up alongside his Spit in an old MG!  These obviously aren't oozing with accuracy and will need a bit of attention, but the main purpose for me will be to set-off the aircraft. 
The search continues!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version