Author Topic: 1:32 Scale Aircraft Conversions - Landing Gear  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Derrick

1:32 Scale Aircraft Conversions - Landing Gear
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:51:12 AM »
Just curious if anyone has bought and used the landing gear they make for the First World War kits, like Wingnut or Copperstate. Are they stronger then the plastic? They don't look like the brass landing gear I have bought for non First World War kits. Will they give the extra strength to hold the weight of the kits ? Thank you for any information.

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32 Scale Aircraft Conversions - Landing Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 06:04:31 AM »
I can only go from the few I have seen, some included in the Encore kits. They are a soft white Metal and pretty flexible( perhaps not quite as much as the plastic). The ones I have experience with came pretty bent up. I think Brass would be much better! On the other hand structural rigging goes a long way with the plastic parts from those kits. My preference when feasible!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »
Never tried , nor have I understood the A.M. white metal gears for WnW kits.
I have built +45 WWI 1:32 planes and never had any issues of bending or flexing gears from any of the original issues from Special Hobby, Roden or WnWs.
To me these particular A.M. items are unneccesary. Better spend money on etch or decals IMHO.

/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 10:42:43 PM »
Will agree with Rick and Mikael , no good and a waste of money . The white metal gear legs and wing struts are just to flimsy and will not support weight or side loads even when rigged . Makes no sense to me either on why some folks replace perfect kit parts with weaker items .

I have used white metal parts before ( BlueMax kit's ) for landing gear and wing struts and all these builds are no more . The gear legs started to bend and wing struts deformed and twisted . Now I replace struts with either homemade brass ( tube with a wire core and flatten ) or I make the out of contrail strut .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »
Agree - white metal is too soft and hardly any better that the kit parts.
Good rigging material, especially the cross bracing wires for the undercarriage struts, makes much more sense.
Stretch lines such as EZ or Prym won't give any rigging rigidity - mono-filament (fishing line) will.

I have quite a few sets of the white metal packs - never used them.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 10:46:49 PM »
   I agree with the majority here; any I have are still in the spares box, and not likely to be used!
Cheers,
Lance