Author Topic: Otto Fuchs Albatros D.Va, The Flying Fox  (Read 3616 times)

Offline mgunns

Otto Fuchs Albatros D.Va, The Flying Fox
« on: September 21, 2020, 07:30:26 AM »
Okay:

Here are some images of my latest venture into WWI 1/32nd aircraft.  After a long hiatis, I joined an Albatros Group Build on Facebook.  I chose Otto Fuchs aircraft the Flying Fox as I read his book and thought he was a neat guy and the markings and painting were neat as well.

The kit I used is this one, WNW Kit 32015 that I have had in the stash since it first came out.

The Book is "Flying Fox" by Fuchs himself translated into English, a good read.

I used PHEON Decals: Albatros VOL. ! DV/DV.a, Sheet number 32011

For the wood grain I used HGW Wood Grain decals, number 532010. fixed over a gloss white surface with some highlighting added around the seams and corners.  They have to be cut to fit, but with a sharp #11 blade the procedure went fairly smooth.  This is the first time I had tried those and I like the effect.

The Model

Not having built a Wingnut Wings kit in awhile, I had forgotten how delicate some of the parts can be and proceeded to break the rudder pedal and mounting pedestal.  An omen.

I used Gaspatch turnbuckles for the lower wing attachment points in concert with Bob's Buckles brass tubes and I used the eyelets and tubes for the upper attachment points and the undercarriage rigging.  I should have drilled the holes for the Gaspatch turnbuckles in at an angle or put a wire pigtail, as it was, I broke three and had to re drill a hole with the top wing firmly fixed in place.  Not fun; but, I prevailed.

The rigging proved to be a challenge as well as I used MAXIM 2 lb. test throughout save for the aileron attachment points I used Modlkasten .06 stretch line..  I need to find a better eye improvement device.

Overall I am pleased with the results

One of the dilemma's I faced was how to attach the cowling "hold down" strap.  The instructions have the modeler drill holes for it, but there isn't anything to attach it to.  Aha!  Bob's Buckles to the rescue.  Using an eyelet I worked the eyelet through the hole in the PE Strap and then fixed it to the model, bringing the strap around to the other side, I did the same.  "Viola" Attachment points!

For some of the highlighting around the access panels, wheels and elsewhere, I used Tamiya Black Panel Line paint.  Let it sit for a for a few minutes and then went over it with a "Q" Tip (Cotton Bud) to wipe off the excess.  I like better than oils as it is less messy and is consistent viscosity, wipes up readily.

It took me about 48 days to complete the model, working on it mostly on weekends.  I am looking forward to getting back into the WWI side of the hobby and tackling more of the stash.

Enjoy

Mark

Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline aircare84

Re: Otto Fuchs Albatros D.Va, The Flying Fox
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
Great build Mark!
The finish is exceptional, including the wood grain finish.
Thanks for posting.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »
Beautifully built Mark !  :) 8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online crouthaj

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »
Beautiful wood paneling, and I like your subtle rib tape work. Thanks for sharing your model!

Jason

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 12:59:35 PM »
Wow Mark - that looks nice indeed! Quite an attractive scheme, too. I've not seen this one done before and it's very appealing. Your description of the build is excellent, with overcoming the little obstacles that seem to trip up a modeller. You've persevered and ended up with an outstanding result. Congrats, my friend.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 02:51:21 PM »
You made a really good looking Albatros, I like the effect of wood decals and the livery: simple yet unique. Thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline FAf

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 03:08:35 PM »
Good looking Albatros! Nice colour scheme and a very pleasant build description. Well done!
/Fredrik

Offline macsporran

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 04:06:25 PM »
Excellent model of an original and attractive colour scheme. So nice to see the turnbuckles in line with the tensioner rigging. First class job.
Sandy

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »
Great job, Mark!  Really love the scheme and execution.  Thanks for the tip with the hold down strap.  I keep telling myself that plywood decals are not in scale...  but I also find myself envious of the finish.

For rigging, I had a pair of custom made reading glasses made X4.82 power.  Much lighter and more comfortable than a visor.  X4.82 power give you a working distance of 8-10 inches.  I found it much easier to rig Bob's Buckles with them.  X5 Power jewellers glasses have you working much closer still.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
Very nicely done! And one of my favourite schemes for Albatros. The Auer's comet just mariginally won when I was choosing the scheme for my Albie, a few years ago. ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 09:42:06 PM »
Excellent results, Mark.  Those wood grain decals did come out nice!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 11:41:29 PM »
Beautifully built, painted, and detailed Mark! The wood grain decals look excellent and your solution to the strap is perfect!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 07:01:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for scoping out the photo's and your kind comments, all duly appreciated.  There are some neat schemes on that PHEON Albatros VOL. I, but after reading the book, this was the choice.  The decals turned out well too and with a little more "pre-shading" a bit more accent as well.  Each one's a learning experience.
Thanks again everyone, means a lot.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 08:08:09 AM »
Super finish and interesting scheme which I have not seen before. It reads as though you had some interesting challenges on the way....but you overcame them to produce a truly first class model.

Stephen.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 04:44:29 PM »
Very nice! I Somehow all the colours are distinct, but they match very well too. I'm also adding the book to my "to-read" list if I can find it :)

Jeroen