Author Topic: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77  (Read 8523 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Hello All,

I couldn't let another day go by without starting another WWI paper model.  Before I start a complicated Albatros D-V, I figured I'd make this neat model that Marco (Matt77) gave away in a recent post.  It will make a nice and relaxing diversion as I continue making a rather large Dornier Arrow paper card model that is going well, but it ain't WWI (my first love)...so I'll start getting this thing moving in a day or two.  The pictures show the front "cover" of Matt77's repaint on my computer and the other shot is the kit as printed on 65lb. paper card stock and clear coated with Krylon satin clear. 

Fitter is the same designer who made the Nieuport I finished recently so it should go together pretty well.  It will be a nice addition since it will look a lot different than the classic Abatri I have on the shelf at present.

More soon so sharpen your scissors...Dan
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 03:08:37 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
Re: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »
This is a great challenge because, in my opinion, Fitter has divided the fuselage into too many "somites" (nine parts :o), and, the accuracy in gluing can be bad affected by any errors in my recoloring. I apologize in advance.
matt77

Offline Radarman

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 10:14:26 PM »
Hello Dan,
Start cutting and let the show begin! It's going to be great to see another one of your projects.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 12:27:48 AM »
Dan, looking forward to your tutorial showing the rest of us the way on this kit!  Have fun. ;D

Best,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 12:41:36 AM »
Dan
I see what Matt77 means, that is a lot of sections to line up and fit. I'd say you have your work cut out for you....except it will be you doing the cutting. I have no doubt that you will master it and it will turn out another masterpiece. Do keep us all posted as work progresses.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 04:29:42 AM »
Thanks Folks...I do see what Marco means too.  I do find that, just like in wood working, if you are off by only a 64th of an inch on one end of a 3 foot board...you are really messed up 3 feet later!  This will be "fun" but we'll tackle it.  I also hope that the many panels may coincide with actual joints?  That way Terri won't be upset... ::)  I need to look into what a D-III really looked like.

Starting it tonight so my next post will show some beginnings.

Cheers and thanks for the interest...Dan

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 02:59:24 PM »
Got the tails and tail skid done including the control horns on the elevator.  If the rest of it goes like these parts, it will be a doddle... ;D

Dan

P.S.  Now, of course, I've jinxed it!  :o ::)

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 12:10:59 AM »
Those look wonderful Dan!  Did you use a balsa core for the tail planes, or paper inserts?  Looks like balsa tabs peeking out. ;D

Best,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 01:17:30 AM »
A real good start Dan. I was wondering about the balsa tabs too. I made balsa wing stiffeners for the Berg, but stuck with the cardboard backed paper for the tailfeathers. Are you intending to back the fuselage formers with balsa? I think that would be good as it is easier to sand the edge of the formers in the dry fit process, of which there will be quite a bit on this model. Keep a steady hand cutting those curved fuselage sections.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 02:16:38 AM »
Hi Bob and SP, my fellow folks who run with scissors...

I am using 1/32nd sheet balsa throughout.  As was pointed out, I find it easier to sand and form to the right shape and that fuselage will need it!  I think I'll do the wings next as they are just spars, formers and skins.  That way I'll feel like I'm making headway and then I'll start the dreaded fuse. 

More tonight (I think)...Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 03:24:10 AM »
Great start and as always the Artwork is lovely!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 06:11:33 AM »
Amazing how many scissors references there are in stuff written about card models, yet I rarely found a use for them on the card models I have worked on.
Kind of like references to "Canvas covered box kites" when I doubt the average WWI airframe would support canvas covering without being crushed with the weight.
I guess we all know linen flies and Xactos cut but those words just don't give the same mind pictures.
sp

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 07:54:14 AM »
 ;D ;D

Funny...I actually, for the first time last night, used scissors to cut out the basic shapes for gluing them to balsa!  I've never done it before either.

Scary...

Well observed, SP!

Dan

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
A tiny bit more and some issues:  It's really nebulous where the forward bulkhead with the gun butts actually goes and the slots for both formers are so wide, that I accidentally glued them (really well) to the floor board too far apart.  I know this because my cockpit skin (as seen) is too narrow.  Plus, I'm not sure how the skin fits along the forward bulkhead at the bottom with a really angular portion.  Still needs some more fitting and head scratching...as well as a joy stick and belts!  But it's coming along.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 04:06:40 PM »
Looking good Dan. I'm sure you will work out the bulkhead positions. You might try some doublers, (or triplers), to get some support under the paper barrel joint. Matt77 really seems to have hit the blonde Albie ply color and texture dead on.

sp