Author Topic: Albatros D.I/II to W.4 conversion?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Chuckt5

Albatros D.I/II to W.4 conversion?
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
How difficult would it be to convert one of the Roden D.I or D.II Albatros kits into a W.4 seaplane?

Is this possible? Has anyone out there done it?

I would love to see a 1/32 scale W.4!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:12:28 PM by Chuckt5 »

Offline rhallinger

Re: Albatros D.V to W.4 conversion?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
The W.4 was actually based on the Albatros D.1 airframe, so you would need to start with the Roden kit in 1/32 (or the D.II, as they are essentially the same).  The bad news is that you would probably need two kits, since the wingspan of the W.4 was lengthened over that of the D.1 by, if I recall, about 3-4 feet.  I suppose you could build your own wings, but it might be easier to extend them by grafting together the wings from two kits.  You'll want to find a copy of the Windsock Mini Datafle for the W.4.  I have naval hex decals in 1/32 for the W.4 that I ordered from Doug Bauman.  You'll need to scratch the floats and a new larger horizontal stabilizer if memory serves, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I'm torn between going ahead with such a conversion next year some time, or just waiting to see if WNW or someone else does the W.4.  I have so many great WNW kits to keep me busy while I wait!  ;)  I really do like the W.4 though, and want one in 1/32.

Good luck with your effort. 

Regards,

Bob

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Thanks Bob for the info. I was just coming to the same conclusion (using the Roden D.I kit) myself after doing a bit of reading.

Do you know if the data file has drawings with wing profiles within? I am not opposed to scratch building new wings and flying surfaces IF I have a good set of drawings to work from.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:22:15 PM »
Hi Chuck.  I just pulled out the Mini Datafile, and there appears to be a wing profile in the reproduction of the original manufacturer's drawings (but not in the datafile plans).  I believe this Mini Datafile is out of print.  If you can't find one, or just don't want to go to the trouble, send me a message with your e-mail address and I can send you copies of plans in .pdf.  Heck, the entire datafile is only 14 pages long!  You'll definately want it if you are going to do this conversion---that's why I found one!  I can send you Doug Bauman's e-mail address to order the naval hex decals also.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Chuckt5

Re: Albatros D.I/II to W.4 conversion?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
Thanks VERY much!  ;D

Email inbound.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
   Chuck,
Excellent idea my friend and one I hope you'll do. Always thought the W.4 was beautiful,especially the early ones with the varnished fuselages.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »
I hope to as well!

Thanks for your encouragement.  :)

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »
This would/will be a cool project to watch Chuck!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »
Did you get my email address Bob?

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:15:40 PM »
Got it Chuck!  I was just away from the computer for a bit.  I'll try to care of it at the office tomorrow, along with Doug Bauman's
address.

I figure you can show me the way on this one, and I'll learn a lot!  ;)  Happy to help.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »
Sounds good. Well see if I can show anyone anything after I have a look at the drawings!

;D

Thanks again, Chuck.