Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Albatros D.Va - COMPLETED!  (Read 20415 times)

Offline eclarson

Re: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Albatros D.Va
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 10:30:28 PM »
Beautiful woodgrain effect there, Eric! Any idea what markings for this bird?

P.S. A couple of years ago, I found "Aizu" tape - it's Tamiya tape that comes in small widths - perfect for what you've done on the fuselage sides.

Thank you!  Scroll up a few posts and you'll see the markings I'm doing.

Thanks for that info.

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »
Now that is some really nice work Eric !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline eclarson

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 10:38:45 PM »
I am amazed at how you used the tape to mask the grooves for the formers. Did you measure the width or are you just exceptional with the Mk.I eyeball? Really a great start and a wonderful idea on the masking. The better fit will really pay off when you go to close the fuselage and get a good fit with a minimal seam to deal with.
sp

Good question!  I made a rough measurement then cut tape strips of a couple widths (1.0mm and 0.8mm) as the grooves are of slightly different width.

To help cut the tape I have this brilliant cutting mat from Infini Model:

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/infit3001v1.htm

Indeed.  I glued the fuselage together last night and the fit was perfect!

Eric

Offline smperry

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 11:29:17 PM »
Thanks Eric. I like that mat. I have tried cutting long thin strips for various purposes and have had varied results, The mat looks just the ticket for that sort of thing.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 12:57:07 AM »
Thanks Eric. I like that mat. I have tried cutting long thin strips for various purposes and have had varied results, The mat looks just the ticket for that sort of thing.
sp

You're welcome.  I love it!  It's a hard plastic with grooves to guide your knife blade.  I usually use a fresh Xacto #11 blade or a scalpel.

Eric

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 02:35:17 AM »
Looking wonderful so far!

Not getting paint on those joining surfaces is essential I found..  there are thin tapes available - I got .5mm and 1.0mm tape from little cars in the UK, but that is a bit rough around the edges.  Our very own Bob of Bob's Buckles has (or used to - apologies if I'm behind the times) supplied lengths of cut tapes of various widths "Bob's Strippers" which I used for similar masking on the Albie, as well as for prop laminations etc.

Offline LuckyLuke

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 08:37:12 AM »
I am amazed at how you used the tape to mask the grooves for the formers. Did you measure the width or are you just exceptional with the Mk.I eyeball? Really a great start and a wonderful idea on the masking. The better fit will really pay off when you go to close the fuselage and get a good fit with a minimal seam to deal with.
sp

Good question!  I made a rough measurement then cut tape strips of a couple widths (1.0mm and 0.8mm) as the grooves are of slightly different width.

To help cut the tape I have this brilliant cutting mat from Infini Model:

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/infit3001v1.htm

Indeed.  I glued the fuselage together last night and the fit was perfect!

Eric
Would this be the same cutting mat under license maybe ?
https://ak-interactive.com/product/easycutting-type-1/

Offline eclarson

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »
Would this be the same cutting mat under license maybe ?
https://ak-interactive.com/product/easycutting-type-1/

Yes, that looks like the same mat.

Eric

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 12:42:01 AM »
Your progress looks fantastic. I really like the wood grain and your enhancements.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »
That's nice work.  I like that scheme, too.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 01:47:30 AM »
Eric,

I see that the indents/slots/grooves where the fuselage frames fit in are bare gray plastic.

Did you scrape them out after doing all the woodgrain work, or did you mask them off beforehand?

If you masked them off, what was your technique?

Your plane looks great!

Jim

Hi Jim,
First, thank you for the kind words! 

As for the slots, I simply masked them with thin strips of Tamiya tape before painting. Here's a shot just after getting the main wood grain done.
You can see the tape ends sticking out from the ends a few of the slots.  Once the tape was removed I also gently scraped the edges to remove any paint that may have leaked under the tape.

Eric

Thanks for the answer and photo!  Your technique works very well, and God know it is important to keep the joins clean on these kits! 

Offline eclarson

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
Fuselage painted and ready for wood effect. The base color is 5 parts Tamiya XF-2 Flat White to 1 part Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow with several panels masked off and painted with a slightly darker mix for variation. It remains to be seen if the difference will be visible once the oil paints are applied. Though it's hard to tell now that they're painted over, the round maintenance hatches on the belly and forward fuselage sides are HGW photo-etch replacements.

Eric

Offline smperry

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 04:38:53 PM »
Looking real good. I sure like the idea of the darker panels with the base coat. looking forward to seeing the oils on it.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 10:30:15 PM »
Excellent base coat! The darker panels will give it more interest for sure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2020, 10:54:09 PM »
I'm very late to the party Eric but have to comment on your work to date: what a beauty! Lovely work on the interior, neat avoidance of the kit's far too common pitfall (paint in those former indents) and you've chosen a really nice scheme. FWIW I've found that getting a variation on tone on the different panels failed using varying base colors and was far easier with the oil paint woodgrain application, I'll be interested to see what your experience is here.
   Keep up the great work, this one's a real winner!
Cheers,
Lance