Author Topic: 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) Aviatik Berg D.I paper kit  (Read 2525 times)

Offline rhallinger

The Berg D.I is now complete.  This fighter of the Austro-Hungarian Air Service served on the Eastern, Italian and Balkan fronts.  It was designed by Julius von Berg (hence the name) and built by the Austrian branch of the Aviatik aircraft firm, and also license built by other Austrian manufacturers.  Over 670 were built, and generally equipped with two synchronized Schwarzlose machine guns and powered by a 200 hp Austro-Daimler in-line engine, producing a top speed of around 115 mph.  The Berg was reportedly a good aircraft to fly and, although not as popular among pilots as the Albatros D.III Oeffag, was flown successfully by several Austro-Hungarian aces.

This model is a 1/33 paper kit designed by Marek, and beautifully repainted digitally by Marco (Matt77) in an Autumn mottle camouflage scheme with natural wood fuselage.  The specific aircraft depicted is No. 38.02, one of the mounts of Austria-Hungary's leading ace Godwin Brumowski.  Here she is:

Just for fun, a monochrome pose to represent the photo of 38.02 included in the kit, although the lighting and background are a bit different:

Cheers,

Bob

Offline ermeio

Re: 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) Aviatik Berg D.I paper kit
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 01:02:41 AM »
excellent model!
thenks for the update and thanks also to Matt77 for making it available

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:06:24 AM »
Bob...

I think you've sold some paper models just now... ;D ;D ;D

Lovely job.

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 07:34:43 AM »
Thanks Er me and Dan!  I am certainly hopeful that some of the great modelers on this forum will give paper a try like we did.  I'll bet they'd produce some beautiful builds!  I'd love to see enough additional interest to encourage Marco to offer more of his repaints on the market.  There's a beautiful SAML S.2 in 1/33 pictured on his webpage, and of course the Ansaldo Balilla in Italian markings.  There are other nice paper kits out there too, and they are so easy on the budget, both for this kits themselves and the limited modeling supplies required.  Paper really gives us lots of interesting options, and its great to see you, sp and Marco doing builds on the forum.  I hope my Berg helps encourage others to follow this trend. ;D  They'll have lots of fun if they do. 

After a brief detour back to some plastic (both off-topic and WWI) I plan to return to paper with a Fitter's 1/33 Albatros W.4 float plane.  Of course, if the aforesaid SAML or a Star-strutter become available by then, the Albatros will be relegated to the sidelines temporarily.  The next paper after the W.4 will be one of Marco's Albatros D.III Oeffag kits he graciously offered for download.  I already have those printed out and ready to go.  They look great!     

Best regards,

Bob 

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 07:39:11 AM »
By the way, did I mention that I broke down and bought a 1/33 paper kit of the Ilya Muromets?  Yeah, I did--that aeroplane just fascinates me.  It will be huge! ;D  I need some more experience with paper (and a bigger house) before I tackle that one.  I'm saving it for retirement. ;) ;D

Best,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
A 1/32 I'lya in paper. Be still my celulose lovin heart. I just love I'lyas. I did the ICM kit in 1/72 and followed an extensive list of corrections by either RR or St.Harry, I forget which just now. It took a Best of Show. I have another ICM kit and quite a load of references inching it's way up the to do list. Do tell which version and what engines. I hope it is Kievisky. Outside of a forest of struts, this is a really good subject for paper.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Gene K

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 05:06:31 AM »
The Berg D.I is now complete. 

Thanks for the visual treat, Bob.

Gene K

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 06:59:36 AM »
What a superb model - I still am reeling from the fact that it is paper!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »
Wow Bob , she turned out beautiful !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 03:36:42 PM »
Beautiful model, equals any plastic. Very well done!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline theskits62

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »
That is incredible. I'm new to this site and WW1 stuff in general - could someone tell me where you get these paper kits from please ?

Offline aaronc

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 06:53:32 AM »
Wow,...looks like the real deal. Great work.

Offline Lt. Bronson

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 07:26:28 AM »
Nearly new on here,I  wasn't expecting so many paper models.   That is one  fantastic model, very impressive!  May I ask, are the wing ribs printed on the wing surface, or are they built up proud of the wing in some way? They look very realistic.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
Wow Bob!  That is truly an outstanding build.  The last paper model I did was years ago of the U.S. Capitol and the Washington Monument, i wouldn't mind having a go at one of these.  It looks terrific and the photography just add to the overall imagery.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 07:35:27 AM »
Thanks to all for your kind comments.  Although I built it, it is largely Marco's (Matt77) digital paintwork that makes it look so appealing.

I'll try to respond to specific questions:

May I ask, are the wing ribs printed on the wing surface, or are they built up proud of the wing in some way? They look very realistic.

Thanks.  The paper kits are flat, smooth card stock, either in booklet form, or self-printed from a digital file download (I go to Office Max to get the printed, because they have the right paper and a better printer, and it's cheap). The ribs are depicted on the paper part, but are flat.  To get the rib to appear prominent and stretching the fabric requires embossing the ribs from the back side.  Take a look at the build thread here for a better discussion:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11202.0

I got lots of good tips on embossing from others on that thread.  I used a knitting needle and steel straight edge with the wing resting on an old mouse pad.  I think it worked pretty well, but experimentation is required!

That is incredible. I'm new to this site and WW1 stuff in general - could someone tell me where you get these paper kits from please ?

If you google "1/33 paper airplane kits" you'll find links to various E-card model sites from which you can purchase download kits (some are free!), or you can get booklet kits by doing the same search on eBay.  If you want two of the most beautiful Albatros D.III Oeffag paper kit downloads for free, just pop over to Marco's thread on this forum here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11320.0

These are true gems, and I already downloaded both, as Marco very graciously offered them gratis to forumites with a download link. 

Best regards to all,

Bob