Author Topic: Show us your - Sopwith Tabloid  (Read 1642 times)

Offline macsporran

Show us your - Sopwith Tabloid
« on: August 08, 2020, 05:45:40 AM »
Conversion of the old 1/48 Eduard Sopwith Baby kit to represent a Tabloid. I was trying to build all the major Sopwith types and this was nearest I could get to a Tabloid. Doubt we'll see one in 1/32 for a long time

Offline rhallinger

Re: Show us your - Sopwith Tabloid
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 06:03:00 AM »
Nice Tabloid conversion Sandy!  You may be right about 1/32, but who knows?  Apparently I felt the way you do a few years back when I scratch built a 1/32 Tabloid, here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3058.0

Maybe I’ll add a few photos of Ltn. Marix’s Tabloid to your thread here. ;D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 06:12:36 AM »
Wow, your scratchbuild is terrific, Bob. I'd missed it first time round. Yes please add it.
Cheers, Sandy

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 04:18:11 PM »
Nice classic plane, another model deserving a modern kit that probably will never be available on the market. Your conversion looks correct and realistic.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
Very nice!
Here's my Classic Planes vac in 1:72

If I built it now I would remove the moulded ribs and paint them on, plus give it a wash to tone it down a bit and make it look a little more used, but other than that it came out pretty nicely considering the amount of work that had to go into it!

Here's the build log.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006618-another-double-build-sopwith-tabloid-classic-plane-and-baby-eduard-172/

Ian

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »
Great little model Ian!  Interestingly, your 1/72 vac kit looks very similar to my 1/32 scratch-built model from 2014 of the identical aircraft: RNAS No. 168, used by Ltn. Reginald Marix to bomb and destroy Zeppplin Z-IX in its shed in Dusseldorf on October 8, 1914.  Here are some shots of my 1/32 model:

The build log for this model is noted earlier in this thread.  I enjoyed taking some more photos of the Tabloid and recalling this build from six years ago.  I tried to time the completion to October 8, 2014, in recognition of the Centenary of the Marix mission to Dusseldorf, but ended up a few days late--no matter, as at least his exploit was remembered a century later through this model.  Take care everyone!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 07:51:46 AM »
Outstanding!

Bughunter

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
Some nice Tabloids here!

I can also add a Lebed, which was a russian copy of the Tabloid.

The model was done from a Special Hobby kit in 1/48.
Further I used a rotary engine from Small Stuff, turnbuckles of Gaspatch and Eduard PE. Different wooden parts, e.g. air screw, cockpit, struts and undercarriage are made from scratch. Also some metal parts and the aluminium cover of the fuselage was added.

For more info and pictures see here:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9167

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »
My second Tabloid is the Sopwith Schneider, which was a Tabloid on floats, as winner of the Monaco Air Race 1914.

Beside a kit from Special Hobby I used a rotary engine kit created by Small Stuff, turnbuckles made in Greece by Gaspatch Models and created many parts from brass, wood (e.g. floats, air screw, struts, seat and other cockpit parts) and aluminium.

For more info and pictures see here:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10864

Cheers,
Frank

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »
That's lovely Frank.  I really like yhe Russian markings!  Very nice.  We have Tabloids in three different scales here. ;D 

Best regards,

Bob

Offline macsporran

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 11:22:51 PM »
Terrific models, Frank. I especially like the flower bouquets, lovely detail. Sandy

Offline smperry

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 03:05:04 AM »
This is the very old Eduard 1/72 offering. The box said Schnider, but I guess it is close enough to a Tabloid to post. It was my first use of kit supplied PE and the second model I ever rigged using heat stretched sprue. I have been a sucker for varnished wood and CDL ever since.
sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 12:58:27 AM »
I am impressed by all of these beautifully built Tabloids! Well Done Guys  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler