Author Topic: Airfix Roland CII/DI Project  (Read 5088 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Airfix Roland CII/DI Project
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2020, 07:39:38 AM »
The center panel and wings are looking great! Nice work on the scribing of the rib tape lines.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2020, 01:53:30 AM »
My that did read as a chore... But then wing ribs on scratch builds/conversions are one of the most boring parts. You have made a first class job of them though - and I am sure that you are pleased that that stage is now behind you.

Stephen.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2020, 12:52:32 AM »
Wings are coming along super Oldman . Bit of work but I do like your method on scribing the rib tapes for this scale , very effective .

Looking forward on the next up-date  :)

Terri

The center panel and wings are looking great! Nice work on the scribing of the rib tape lines.
RAGIII

My that did read as a chore... But then wing ribs on scratch builds/conversions are one of the most boring parts. You have made a first class job of them though - and I am sure that you are pleased that that stage is now behind you.

Stephen.

Thanks a lot, guys!

What suggested this method first to me, on the 'Bullet' was that photographs showed unusually wide tapes, wider than the 1/64" (0.4mm) tape I use. By the time I am done sanding and 'leveling up with successive coats of primer, the tape really does not stand up appreciably from the surface, But of course just about height is 'too much' in 1/72.

The scribing is more work, though it takes less time. The tape method involves sealing with Future, which must dry, several coats of spray primer, which must dry so the tapes can be sanded bare again. Applying the tape is a good deal easier that the scribing in parallel. The tape width scales out to about an inch and an eighth, or a hair under three centimeters, which I do not think over-scale for the purpose. The thing about the scribing is that while each single operation is simple, there are a great many of them, and all must more or less match. As Lenin said in quite another context 'Quantity has a quality all its own," and the sheer volume of repetitions provides some difficulty that looking at each operation singly tends to conceal. I have seen 1/48 modellers use two No. 11 blades soldered or glued together to cut precise 1/32" strips of decal film for rib tapes, but that is as narrow as the method can contrive. It would be nice to have a doubled blade with points separated by a half millimeter or so....

Bughunter

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 05:07:14 AM »
The kit designer would never have dreamed what great things you can do with his product :D
Great conversion project! A conversion, additionally in that small scale, play in it's own league - well done so far.

Cheers,
Frank