Author Topic: Nieuport N.10, a Merlin Model in 1/72  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Old Man

Nieuport N.10, a Merlin Model in 1/72
« on: October 15, 2020, 03:00:32 AM »
A while ago, when asking after some 'small bits' motors, I said I was thinking of scratch-building a Nieuport N.10. Our Perry offered me a Merlin kit he had of the type, saying it wouldn't be much different from scratch-building. I have heard tell of Merlin kits, but had never seen one, so curiosity got the better of me, Perry put it in the mail. I thought I would put up a marker on it, as gifts go to the front of the queue, and I am about ready to start.

Here it is:

Everyone in the household thinks that is a great looking box, and I agree.

Here is what is in it:

Perry has done some work on it, and so I suspect spared me the full Merlin experience --- I cannot imagine things were quite this smooth when he first opened it. But there is still a lot to do. When the upper wing cut-out is centered on the drawing, one wing panel is short. The fuselage sides are vertical, and should taper in a bit towards the bottom. The oil catchers look a bit anemic to me as well. I expect there will be more interesting items emerge on closer examination.

Here is what I intend to build this as:

This is the first Macchi-built N.10 delivered to Italy's air service. Since at this stage the national markings were broad areas of green and red under the wings, and rudder stripes, this subject requires no decals, save for the diminutive serial number, which will be no trouble to contrive.

I hope to have some progress to report soon.

My thanks again to our Perry for the gift, and what promises to be rum fun --- my very first Merlin!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Nieuport N.10, a Merlin Model in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 05:55:34 AM »
Looking forward on seeing what you do with this kit OM , in the past I built a few and yeah ...they need a lot of care . But in your hands , piece of cake !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Old Man

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 06:23:32 AM »
Looking forward on seeing what you do with this kit OM , in the past I built a few and yeah ...they need a lot of care . But in your hands , piece of cake !

Terri

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Terri. This will bring me up to three projects juggling at once. A bit much for me, but at least they are all pretty different things. Once the wings are assembled for the Roland D.I, it will get into the delicate category, so this will be something to let loose on with sanding sticks for a bit of ham-handed relaxation....

One othe thing stands out to the eye is that the cockpit positions smack more of an N.12 than an N.10. We shall see --- I am away from yhe kits and references for a bit.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 07:33:48 AM »
I am looking forward to this one. Anyone tackling a Merlin kit deserves attention to their processes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 01:57:14 AM »
I too am interested to see how you will handle this kit. I only have voyueristic experience of them, but from what I have read you are in for some real fun. But no doubt a first class model will emerge.

Stephen.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 01:13:37 AM »
I am looking forward to this one. Anyone tackling a Merlin kit deserves attention to their processes!
RAGIII

I too am interested to see how you will handle this kit. I only have voyueristic experience of them, but from what I have read you are in for some real fun. But no doubt a first class model will emerge.

Stephen.

Thank you, gentlemen.

It will take some effort. I have checked the cockpit openings against the Windsock drawings, and they are much too far to the rear. I expect I will be replacing everything forward of the stringer turtledecking and above the seam line. Easier to bend something thin and cut out the openings than fill and wrangle. Give me a chance, too, to make good use of my rarely employed cordless Dremel to thin down the sides for some interior work. Not sure if I will do this with the front cockpit covered or not --- it was eventually covered, but the photo was taken before it was. With the front cockpit squarely below the close-set upper wing, the front cockpit interior would be practically invisible.

I will have to see if I can acquire a 'fresh' Merlin. I have a couple of Veeday kits knocking about the shelves, a Flycatcher and  a Gamecock in a double boxing for sure. Awfully rough looking items. I recall reading of some connection between Veeday and Merlin, but cannot recall the details.

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 05:11:33 AM »
Never heard of Merlin or have seen such a model!
I will watch, may be I can learn things about this type. May be I will do a triplane of this Nieuport in 1/48 (Special Hobby kit + Spin conversion).

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Old Man

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 05:23:44 AM »
Got a bit of a start on this, but first --- some additions to the kit...

It would be fair to deduce I like the Nieuport 'fifteen meter' quite a bit. I bought several Eduard over-trees, and ome have been raided for various uses. You may detect here a 'horseshoe' cowling appropriate to an Ni.10, as well as a Le Rhone motor, that I will trick up to be a 80hp version (sizes are the same, it's just that the lower power version had the works in front, not behind). You will see also some interplane 'Vee' struts, Though these are short for the gap of the Ni.10, their size and angle is right, and it will be easier to lengthen these than make up new items.

I have begun making the wings into what they ought to be....

The asymmetry of the wing can be seen. The leading edge is not bad, but the trailing edge less so. The worst of that was outboard, where the angles just were all wrong, and mostly short on chord. So I am doing something I don't often do, and making separate control surfaces, to more easily do the correction. Though it is not something that would show on a picture, I have got a better airfoil shape, and put in the camber underneath. It was flat before. The plastic is nice, and easy to work with, which bodes well for what I'll be doing with the fuselage.

Here is a look at a fuselage piece against the Windsock drawing:

The error in cockpit placement is gross. My intent is to simply remove everything forward of the turtledeck rear --- much easier to replace than to fill and then pierce and trim out.

It is going to be a coupe of weeks before I have any more bench-time. Wife has a quite large freelance project, and I will be doing some of the drudge work to help get it wrapped up in time.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 11:35:10 AM »
This is getting good  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:29:15 PM »
Smart Idea using parts from the over-tree! I am looking forward to seeing the corrections unfold!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Old Man

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 04:16:17 AM »
This is getting good  :)

Terri

Thanks, Terri. I confess being tempted just to scratch-build the fuselage, but that would be discourteous to Perry. With the front cockpit open, as it is in the picture, there is not much to replace, and most of what's in front can be solid. I expect to amputate both wingtips, and replace with thin sheet bent to camber. The one needs extending, and the other could be crisper. the seam can go under a rib tape. I expect with this one I will be using the tape, not scribing.

Smart Idea using parts from the over-tree! I am looking forward to seeing the corrections unfold!
RAGIII

Thanks, RagIII. These were practically extras to start, I think they cost about two dollars each. I still have three or four baxed kits, at least one unsealed overtree, and expect I could assemble a complete something or two out of the overtree jumble. There are more of them than pictured.

I really ought to do a Nieuport 17, and in French livery too. That would bring me up to three main projects, plus some other old builds I shouldn't neglect too long. Terri and yourself seem to thrive on doing several at once, but I find I tend to lose the thread shifting from one to another, and can overlook things if I'm not careful.