Author Topic: 1:32nd scale - Ansaldo 'Baby'  (Read 11520 times)

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale - Ansaldo 'Baby'
« on: July 29, 2020, 09:11:15 PM »
Hi all,
I'm waiting for the propeller to arrive to complete my Siemens-Schuckert D.III model.
Therefore I'm making a start on the 1:32nd scale resin model of the Ansaldo 'Baby' by 'Lukgraph'.
I'll be modelling the first 'Baby' built (Ser No: So 5005) by the SA Aeronautica Gio Ansaldo of Turin.
This aircraft was fitted with a Le Rhöne 9J rotary engine (120hp) with a circular engine cowl.

I've made a start on the 3D printed engine, which I must say is the best finish I've seen thus far from a model company.
The surface shows very little, if any, of the layer striations seen on some 3D printed model parts.
Cutting the parts from their support trees is a bit tricky and because the material is quite hard, removing the tree stubs on such small parts is difficult.

Mike

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:21:47 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
Re: 1:32nd scale - Ansaldo 'Baby'
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:20:16 PM »
Hi all,
The 3D printed Le Rhone 9J engine is complete.
Painted with 'Alclad' Steel lacquer and weathered using by sponging 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Burnt Blue, Gunmetal and Silver.
Complete engine washed with 'AK Interactive' Kerosene, thinned with White Spirit.
Spark plug leads twisted from 0.125 mm diameter copper wire.
The supplied 0.3 mm rod is solid steel and when cut, leaves a burr on the end which is difficult to remove.
Therefore I used Nickel-Silver tube instead.

Mike

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:24:28 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:32:14 AM »
Excellent Start Mike. The engine looks Terrific. You certainlly don't waste any time  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 04:30:11 AM »
Hi all,
I've been sorting out certain anomalies with the primary parts of the model.
The details will be covered in the PDF build log, but as a heads up:
The resin locating pegs for the fuselage halves cause the assembly to be misaligned, as do those to locate the wings to the fuselage and upper wing centre section.
These pegs were removed and replaced with 0.8 mm diameter brass rod, which with the kit original steel pins provide a better joint and alignment.
Even so I found that with the wing leading edges aligned, the trailing edges were not. It seems the wing chords are slightly less than their mating faces.
Therefore some sanding of the trailing edges of the upper wing centre section and lower wing roots was required to align correctly to the wing sections.
Resin surface irregularities, such as blow holes, chips, edge delaminations and joint seams, needed to be either filled and/or sanded.

The two fuselage halves have pre-moulded external linen stitching, which is not very realistic. Also the stitching at the sides of the cockpit was not present on the aircraft.
In addition, the removable rear fuselage was attached to the forward fuselage at a joint to the rear of the cockpit.
This joint has been moulded on the fuselage halves as a thick ridge, but in reality did not look like this (see the following photograph).
The joint at the fuselage sides was covered with a strip.
These details were scraped and sanded away, in preparation for being replaced with photo-etch (‘Eduard’ WW1 Stitching (EDP32228).

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 04:55:59 AM »
It sounds like a lot of correction work is/was required. It seems to be a kit for a Master like yourself :-)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 11:17:07 PM »
Piece of cake in your talent hands Mike . Awesome work on the engine .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 04:42:12 AM »
Hi all,
We'll see how it goes, but it shows how a bit of research can throw up details otherwise missed,

Mike

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 05:33:09 AM »
Hi all,
The pilot operated the ailerons on the wings by turning the pilot’s wheel on the control column.
The typical aileron control from a pilot’s wheel was effected by cables.
The control column would be fitted with two cable pulleys, one from the wheel and located on the top of the control column and a second pulley located at the bottom of the control column.
The aileron control cable run was routed around the top pulley then down to the bottom pulley, where the cable run was crossed.
From the bottom pulley the cables were routed out of the cockpit and through the lower wings to their respective ailerons.

Unfortunately these pulleys are not supplied in the model kit, so had to be made.
Each pulley is a 2.5 mm diameter disc, cut from 0.5 mm thick plastic card, and sandwiched between two 3.5 mm diameter discs.
These represent the basic 'grooved' pulleys, around which the aileron control cable run will be routed,

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 06:07:08 AM »
Your usual outstanding attention to detail Mike!
RAGIII

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 12:33:49 AM »
Very nice!! I have the Norwegian version so I imagine your comments would be applicable to that one as well

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 01:03:11 AM »
Hi all,
The fuselage halves had two pre-moulded resin location pegs only and when the fuselage halves were located together, the pegs did not align correctly.
Also, as noted by 'PrzemoL' during his build of the Sopwith 'Baby, once the cockpit if fitted and the fuselage closed up, the fuselage seam will be seen from inside the cockpit.
Therefore I decided to sand away the resin location pegs and drill three 0.9 mm holes into one fuselage half, then fitted 0.8 mm brass location rods.
To align the rest of the fuselage halves I added short strips of 0.8 mm thick plastic card to the fuselage half, in positions that would not interfere with the cockpit fit.
Finally to hide the fuselage seam and to add to fuselage halves alignment, I cut and profiled a single piece of 0.8 mm thick plastic card, which was secured to the cockpit floor area of the fuselage half.
The result is a much better alignment of the fuselage halves wih the seam below the cockpit hidden,

Mike

Offline smperry

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 01:23:23 AM »
Getting 3 sets of pins and holes to line up so perfectly blows my mind. Are the holes a little larger in diameter than the pins? I would have thrown up my hands and simply done without the locators. Amazing precision Mike.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 01:29:16 AM »
Looking terrific as always. Nice work on the false floor and those locating pins.
RAGIII

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 04:42:28 AM »
Getting 3 sets of pins and holes to line up so perfectly blows my mind. Are the holes a little larger in diameter than the pins? I would have thrown up my hands and simply done without the locators. Amazing precision Mike.
sp

Yes the holes are 0.9 mm diameter and the rods 0.8 mm diameter.
This allows for slight misalignment. If alignment is too far out, I'll open up the hole by steps of 0.1 mm until it aligns.
Either that or elongate the hole one way or the other to get alignment,

Mike
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:35:18 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 05:43:02 AM »
Great subject and bright start, will follow with interest.
Ciao
Giuseppe