Author Topic: Second Paper Card model: Short 184  (Read 8834 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Second Paper Card model: Short 184
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2020, 09:54:38 PM »
Hi SP, I clearly don't visit this section enough! I continue to be amazed by these models and this looks like you are having great fun.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 11:31:27 PM »
Well done sp! ;D  Your patience and perseverance is paying huge dividends, as the fuselage looks wonderful.  I need to remember to slow down, measure well, test fit and sometimes bite the bullet and redo something that's not-quite-right.  You seem to have mastered that aspect of paper modeling.  I'm looking forward to more on the Short. ;D

Best tregards,

Bob

Offline IanB

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 02:57:21 AM »
Looking great so far! If you need any references here's my build of the Aeroclub kit. Same airframe.

Ian

Offline smperry

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »
Thanks Richie. If you weren't doing so great on your scratchbuild, I'd recommend trying one. Maybe you can in between scratching and kits.

Bob thanks, but the only thing persistent about me is my tendency to bull ahead without benefit of either instructions or dry fits. I need the dog's old choke collar to wear so I can yank on it when I catch my self going too fast. But like the dog, I'm learning slowly.

Ian
Aeroclub Short 184, I'm totally jealous. I've given up hope of ever finding one which is why I jumped on the paper card Short. Please post a link, I can't wait to check it out.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2020, 11:45:03 AM »
Looking really good so far SP , your having fun so keep at it  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »
I'm havin' fun, fun, fun since PJ took our Wingnuts away....

Sorry, couldn't resist.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline IanB

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »
Here you go. Looks like I forgot it in the first post!

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5132.msg90676#msg90676

One of my earlier builds but I'm still ok with it!

Ian

Offline smperry

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2020, 10:59:37 PM »
Thanks Ian. That lookes like a very nice limited run kit. The pictures of the plans and finished model have already answered a couple of questions. Now I am definitely going to grab one if I ever run across it.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2020, 12:32:27 AM »
I am in need of some help here.

The tailfeathers have me totally confused. I have carefully re-read the written instructions and looked hard at all the drawings and cannot find a hint as to how to assemble the two sides of the fin & rudder and the stab & elevator. Below is a photo of the parts as printed.

The two sides to each piece are different sizes which I take to be for making an airfoil cross section. There is nothing in either the written instructions or drawings indicating how they go together and there are no "ribs" to go between.

I am thinking to roll the larger Horizontal tailplane piece into an airfoil shape, Glue the LE and when dry, match up the TE and ends.

The fin and rudder are another story altogether. Are they printed out of register? Pretty sure not as the rest of the sheet is good. What is that line from the bottom of one fin to the top of the opposite side rudder? and what about the CDL edges to the larger rudder? Leading edges??

Am I missing a subtle hint from the way they are printed? If not I am inclined to glue the parts together and trim to the outline of the smaller part and color the edges.

sp

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2020, 06:06:14 AM »

The first step is to separate the parts.
The second step is to fold along the line.
Lastly, cut the side where the designs are smaller.

;) matt77

Offline smperry

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2020, 06:56:06 AM »
Thanks Matt. I am slowly learning to read the cut, score and fold information included on the parts layouts. I did as you showed and the parts came out fine. That one piece larger than the other is a neat trick for getting a match up when you have to fold to make a two sided part. All part of the learning curve.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »
Tail feathers done and control horns added.

Tail feathers attached.

Progress to date.

The close up photography really makes the edges look bad, but in person they don't look so bad, still I have to work on how I treat the edges.

sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 12:00:44 AM »
The tail Feathers look excellent! What rigging line did you end up using?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2020, 12:08:32 AM »
Left  side is HSP and the right is Mono. I am going with HSP as I don't have enough mono and don't want to wait on delivery. The Short Brothers definitely had job security for riggers in mind when they designed this plane.
sp

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2020, 01:01:26 AM »
SP!
I've been driving cross country so just got some good internet.  Looks great and I did just what Matt77 suggested when I put mine together.  Seemed to work out fine.

Yours is looking awesome!

Dan