Author Topic: Early Airfix Albatros  (Read 2175 times)

Offline lone modeller

Early Airfix Albatros
« on: December 12, 2020, 04:03:48 AM »
Evening All,

My interest in WW1 types has been with me since I was in my early teens, but I was never able to build any kit to a standard that I was happy with until I started to make conversions of WW2 aircraft in my late teenage years. Then suddenly my interests took a wholly new direction when once again I had the urge to build and rig WW1 model aircraft. My first ever was the Revell Albatros DIII, but Sandy's wonderful Gotha with lozenge camouflage reminded me of the Airfix kit which I made a couple of months after the Revell kit. This was built from the box (I had no idea of the faults with the kit at the time, although i knew that it had some), and like Sandy's Gotha it was hand painted entirely. The markings were from the kit. The aircraft represents one flown by von Hippel: the colour of the arrow is frequently interpreted as black although my source at the time claimed that it was red. The shape of the arrow is also different in more modern sources, but I have never seen a photo of this machine so I am not in a position to question the shape.

Here it is - made in the mid-1970's when I had learned to make a half decent model, rigged with stretched sprue. It still resides in my cabinet - as much for nostalgia as it being a good model.

As Sandy has written in his post - how we have moved on....

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline macsporran

Re: Early Airfix Albatros
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 06:19:28 AM »
Thanks again for your kind comments Stephen but your lozenge work is every bit as good, if not better, than my attempts. You've represented the irregular shapes beautifully. I bet you were very proud and indeed still should be.
I miss those days when we made models as we thought they should be rather than worrying over tiny detail inaccuracies. Thank you for reminding us of the real joy of model making.
Sandy

Offline Rip Van Winkle

Re: Early Airfix Albatros
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 04:30:01 AM »
I also built a few of these.  In the late 60s they were 29 cents a piece.  I still have some scrap parts. Your model looks better than mine ever did.  The lozenge looks great and I know how much  effort went into it.