Author Topic: the shelf of memories  (Read 1791 times)

Offline ermeio

the shelf of memories
« on: June 27, 2020, 08:00:14 AM »
this thread brought my attention on a corner of my bookshelf
some old boxes gathered there over the years, and it gives me a feeling of being at home.
I have some other threasures' caves around, this is the one i have here.
sorry for the low quality of the picture

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Re: the shelf of memories
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »
Hi Ermeio - I too have found myself over recent years collecting the odd boxing here and there of kits that I built in my youth. I don't really have an intent to build them, so they are almost like a stand alone little collection separate from my build pile, but they bring a nostalgic smile to my face :)

Anyone else 'collect' kits?

Speaking of memories, here is another aviation related thing I played with in my youth... my old 386 computer from 1992 (I was 11 years old), still working 28 years later. They don't build 'em like they used to! :)

Cheers,

BC
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:10:31 AM by Brad Cancian »

Offline ermeio

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 06:38:15 PM »
great, Brad!
i don't have any intention to build the oldies... some of them are started by the former owners but they will stay as they are, as long as they are in my hands :)
from time to time I took the chance to buy some old boxes for my collection.
i have almost all of the aurora, the life-like pyro, artiplast and the usual piles of airfix and frog
in the end they are a problem since they take space and I did not make a list of what I have.
now also WNW passed from TO-DO pille to the collectibles one....

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 11:14:16 PM »
Despite the very basic functionality, the flight model of Red Baron was really pleasant. I spent ages playing and I regret having presented my old computers to relatives and friends, as the new games don't give the same feelings. I downloaded a lot of classic and WWI planes on MS Flight Simulator, very nice flight mode but no dogfighting. And lots of kits, mainly 1/72, unassembled. A friend of mine built several of the old ones, painted them silver, gold and metallics and used them as Christmas Tree decorations!
Memories...
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:24:01 AM »
The flight of the Red Baron is really a fond memory...
I myself have my old 8086 in its cabinet but it is a long time i do not dare to switch it on :)
ciao
thanks for sharing

Offline petrov27

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 03:07:51 AM »
wow still recall purchasing those Dragon 1/48 kits when new and being so blown away by how great they were compared to what else was out there for that scale at the time. I remember building the DrI in my apartment while at college trying to replicate the "blue and red" Udet stripe scheme that Dan San had described in the WW1 Aero magazine I had found.... good times :)
-Patrick

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 07:00:23 AM »
The Dragon Triplane was also the first one I tried; it was back in probably 1994 or 1995, I was in my early teens and I had never seen photo etch before. I remember foolishly trying to keep it in place with plastic cement, which obviously ended badly, so I then tried superglue, which worked but I hadn't learned how to neatly apply superglue... I got there in the end though...!

Here's a pic from around 1996 (I was 15 years old) -

By then i'd also had a go at their D.VIII - still need to pick up a D.VIII boxing for my nostalgia collection, which I will eventually...

Cheers,

BC
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:07:01 AM by Brad Cancian »