Author Topic: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1  (Read 40190 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Re: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2020, 03:30:47 PM »

[/quote]
I've got two on pre-order.  One from Luckymodel and another from a local friend.  It'll be interesting to see which get it to me fast.  But there are a lot of empty shelves in Australia usually filled with stuff from China.  So, who knows...

BTW....  is it me, or do the guns and other added parts outside the cockpit (like the flare gun and holder) look a little underdone?

I've seen a few comments in some of the facebooks groups about that, they've also pointed out the distinct lack of rivets on that cowling as well...hmm ::) it is only a test shot though, I hope.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2020, 03:39:43 PM »
Looks like a DR.1 to me. I' ll take 7.

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »
The pictures show an aeroplane with all the whistles and bells fitted, so it looks like there will be a lot of alternative parts in the kit

Should be plenty of material left over to upgrade Roden kits!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2020, 11:02:01 PM »
I will be interested in seeing if the cowling and rudder are the same as the Aviattic items.  I have the various items to improve a Roden Dr.I. 

I am very happy to see this kit come to the market.  Early in in this, I was critical of the WN parent for closing WNW just before what could be their most popular kit was released.  If nothing else, to get some return on the investment.  So, I am very grateful that Meng saw this opportunity.

Offline drdave

« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2020, 12:59:51 AM »
Presumably there’s at least 2 cowlings in there for the F1 and DR1

Dekenba1

« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2020, 05:40:37 AM »
Interesting that MENG are not adopting the WNW strategy of releasing "very early/early/right in the middle/a little bit late/almost late/very late/too late" boxings, but rather look to put all the required parts in the one box, leaving it up to the modeller to decide quite what kit to build. I like that.

I think we can rest assured that this kit is going to be no different - at least the parts - in terms of quality from a WNW kit, because that's essentially what it is.

I'm afraid I ordered 3 from Luckymodel, using the $8 shipping route.

I have no willpower. None whatsoever.

Offline drdave

« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2020, 05:54:32 AM »
He he I got the last Pheon decal set for the Dr1..

Offline petrov27

« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2020, 05:55:38 AM »
Interesting that MENG are not adopting the WNW strategy of releasing "very early/early/right in the middle/a little bit late/almost late/very late/too late" boxings, but rather look to put all the required parts in the one box, leaving it up to the modeller to decide quite what kit to build. I like that.

This aspect pleases me as well - though the different box arts and marking options were nice, if a subject is near identical between versions I would really prefer an "all in one" kit. If the versions differ in major ways (say a longer fuselage or something) sure multi boxings are understandable.

Given that with the MENG release, I am not particularly caring for the box art, and as yet we have no idea what all markings even come with it (and with the amount of aftermarket decals I have for DrI I don't even care) so even MORE happy they chose to go this way with a single boxing (well there is the alternate release with busty Manfred I suppose....)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:02:52 AM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline Monty

« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2020, 06:01:11 AM »
As for the rivets about the cowling.. I have commented on this before. The rivets are not really prominent, but appear more readily on photographs of the early Dr1's... as the triplanes became more decorated in squadron service, those rivets appear much less prominent... it appears to me as the cowlings were overpainted and often redecorated the rivet impressions disappeared... Indeed the manufacturing process may have become much neater..... Just my opinion... Marc.

Dekenba1

« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2020, 06:45:46 AM »

This aspect pleases me as well - though the different box arts and marking options were nice, if a subject is near identical between versions I would really prefer an "all in one" kit. If the versions differ in major ways (say a longer fuselage or something) sure multi boxings are understandable.

Given that with the MENG release, I am not particularly caring for the box art, and as yet we have no idea what all markings even come with it (and with the amount of aftermarket decals I have for DrI I don't even care) so even MORE happy they chose to go this way with a single boxing (well there is the alternate release with busty Manfred I suppose....)

The box art is plain awful - the static engine whilst the rotates is ridiculous, whilst the overall quality & attention to detail is pretty bad.

Having said that...at $39.99 a box, they can leave it blank or draw Snoopy & I'll still buy 'em. Perhaps WNW were paying too much for their box art, and MENG decided to save every penny by getting an intern to do the art.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2020, 08:01:47 AM »

The box art is plain awful - the static engine whilst the rotates is ridiculous, whilst the overall quality & attention to detail is pretty bad.

Having said that...at $39.99 a box, they can leave it blank or draw Snoopy & I'll still buy 'em. Perhaps WNW were paying too much for their box art, and MENG decided to save every penny by getting an intern to do the art.

Yep, a blank box would be fine at he price. I am sure I will get one more when released to go with My pre order!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
Yeh having multiple versions in the same box is great the trade off is the instructions and box art.
Noticed one kit from China still hasn’t been sent. Will give it a little while longer before cancelling.
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Vickers

« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
Possible scenario comes to mind...

Boss: "We need some box art... yesterday"
Assistant: "My neighbor's kid does wonderful digital art."
Boss: "When you get home tonight, give the kid 10 bucks and tell them we need it in the morning."

Given the quickness with which Meng announced the Dr.1, right on the heels of the WNW closure, it seems that they rushed the box art. I suppose that working with Steve Anderson to use his artwork wasn't an option once they decided to include parts for more than one version in the kit.  I'd have been thrilled to see some more from Steve Anderson, but I share the above sentiments- a plain white box with the words "Meng" and "Fokker F.1/Dr.1" might've been better than rushing that particular image onto the box top.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:40:08 PM by Vickers »
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline macsporran

« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2020, 08:57:30 PM »
After I've built the kit, the empty box usually goes in the bin. I'm sure the guys in the bin lorry aren't offended by inaccurate box art.
As long as the contents are accurate and the box is sturdy, who cares if they've kept the price down like this.

Offline Gene K

« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2020, 09:31:58 PM »
As long as the contents are accurate and the box is sturdy, who cares if they've kept the price down like this.

Since you are taking a survey:  I care.

Gene K