Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed  (Read 2449 times)

Dekenba1

Newly Diagnosed
« on: June 13, 2020, 01:55:20 AM »
Just been diagnosed - subject to an MRI - with MS, having been experiencing gradually worsening symptoms for some time.

So, goodbye model aeroplane making.

It was fun.

Offline James

Newly Diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 02:19:21 AM »
I am so sorry to hear that my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.
Jaames
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline rhallinger

Re: Newly Diagnosed
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 04:28:36 AM »
Saddened to hear of your diagnosis.  I hope that this forum can continue to provide some vicarious modeling pleasure, as it does for many of us who cannot hope to build the many models available, but can enjoy the builds of others posted here.  Take care, and we will pray for positive management of your symptoms.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline ermeio

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 07:32:10 AM »
sorry to hear that, dekemba
all the best and don't give up

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 09:25:28 AM »
Very sorry to hear that. Health issues can overwhelm us but also pose challenges to somehow keep modelling if at all possible. Don't give up your hobby yet , see if there's any way to adapt to your condition.

best wishes

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 10:21:14 AM »
I'm terribly sorry to hear this,please accept my very best wishes Dekenba.
Dave.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »
Dekenba,
    I am so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I hope your conditions can be managed and that you can find ways to adapt and continue with the Hobby that you enjoy.
   I have a Nephew in his mid 30's who has Brain Cancer; he has endured 3 invasive surgeries and Chemo therapy on and off for the past 5 years and is still an absolutely world class model builder. Despite loosing sight in one eye and some loss of coordination he continues with his hobby and has his wife help with the "touchy/delicate" steps. I also have a close friend who spent a year learning to walk and talk again after a serious stroke, and he now models more then I do! All this to say there is hope, give it time and I hope you'll find ways to work with, and where needed, around this situation. We're all "pulling" for you!
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 08:39:13 AM »
Dekenba
So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I have had some bad medical news myself of late and hearing of yours is distressing to say the least. Don't give up on something that is a big part of what  makes you you. My sister had a similar diagnosis and is now symptom free. Doctors know less than they let on and the human body is often more resilient than doctors give it credit for being. If a disease takes your hobby, then so be it, but please do not give it up without a fight. Besides, this forum is about much more than a place to show off one's nifty models. Your experience and know- how are as welcome and needed here as ever. Don't give up on the hobby, because, at least this niche of it isn't giving up on you.
Regards
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 08:44:23 AM »
I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis Dekenba - I can relate, in small part, to what you're going through.

My father, who introduced me to scale modelling as a young nipper, has MS. He started experiencing symptoms in his early 40s and for a number of years he wasn't diagnosed (as you know, MS is one of those things where the nerve damage has to be big enough to show up on MRIs). He was a bit frightened for a number of years as to what was happening to him, as no one could tell him, until he got that diagnosis. Once he had that diagnosis, he had something defined that he could focus on, treat, and tackle, and that's the silver lining. You now have something that doctors can focus treatment in on. My father has been living with MS now for over 20 years, and through some good treatments, has slowed the progress to a virtual stand still (other things have gotten in the way of his treatment, but that's another story). Yes he can't run a marathon like he used to, but he can still do the things he loves to do.

I know that MS is a deeply personal battle, and it affects everyone differently, but don't give up hope - with some good treatment, and perhaps adopting to some of the larger scales, I'm sure you'll still be able to wield a hobby knife in anger.

Best wishes, don't give up!

Cheers,

Brad

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 05:13:07 AM »
Hi Dekenba, very sorry and concerned to hear about your illness. There is not much we can do except send moral and psychological support, and we will send lots and lots! Please lean on us, and please continue to do as much as you can within your capabilities, we value your presence here. We will think of you and your progress and do as much as we can to support you. Regards, Marc.

Dekenba1

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts and advice guys, I appreciate it.

I think I'll just chill for a few days, relax and then take stock. At the moment I think my emotions are a bit too heightened to be making decisions.

I'll have a chat with my GP, see what we can do about medication & treatment, and see how it goes.

I'm not intending to stop modelling straight away - I've got a stash of ridiculous proportions to work through! - so I'll probably work out the best way forward, which will probably involve lots of shorter modelling sessions, interspersed with rest, snacks, relaxation & plenty of naps. Actually, that sounds pretty good!

The symptoms are still pretty minor, only the fatigue is really stopping the hobby. And ultimately, things could be far, far worse - it's not life threatening or terminal.

And, looking on the bright side, I may have a career in paint- or cocktail- mixing ahead of me eventually!

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 04:12:54 AM »
It really sounds like you're making some good decisions there, Dekenba! Yes, this disease is very gradual and I'm sure the stash is calling! Take your time, be good to yourself and let us know how it goes! Regards, Marc.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 06:02:54 AM »
Really sorry about these news, please hold strong.
Best wishes, Giuseppe.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this, Dean!  I hadn't seen until I read your recent post in the "what's new" section.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline dinor

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 09:56:29 AM »
I have a close working colleague and friend who was diagnosed with MS ( Stage 3) a couple of years ago so I have come to know the condition and its challenges in lets say an indirect way.

For what its worth, and easy for me to say I know, but the mental attitude and approach of my colleague , which is very much a positive and a 'lets work with this thing and live life as much as possible' has been eye opening in a positive way.

In fact he is looking at TAKING UP this hobby and others, after understanding it more from our chats !

Regardless... Good luck on your management of the condition in the years ahead, along with others I wish you all the best and hope to still hear from you in this forum

Dino