Author Topic: Unknown Fokker D.VII. Plastic Supplied by WNW  (Read 11161 times)

Offline GazzaS

Unknown Fokker D.VII. Plastic Supplied by WNW
« on: June 08, 2020, 06:27:10 PM »
Hi everyone!
    After dithering on this scheme for a while... like over a year..., I've finally decided to begin before somebody else does.  Building a model that is unique is important to me at times.  So, I've chosen this scheme:

After many hours of research and a few timely pieces of information from friends here, I'm ready to proceed.

The base for all of my labors is the WNW Fokker D.VII (Alb).  I don't know if the plane is built by Albatros or not.  But I am told that an expert believes that some of the cowl parts have been replaced with OAW pieces.  This gives me a little more individuality.

I began last week.  I started with the engine.  I'm not going to hyper detail it as only the top will be seen, anyway.

Inspired by the guys who have begun to fabricate their own props, I looked for materials.   I considered both paper and laminating balsa.   Then I realized that I have 32 WNW props with perfect proportions.  And I have a Silhouette Portrait.  Surely I must be able to do something with them.   I'm too cheap to buy perfect AM props.
Here are my results.

If you think any one of them is better than the others, please let me know.  I'm quite undecided.

I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you.

Happy modelling!

Gaz
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:06:49 PM by GazzaS »
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RichieW

Re: Unknown Fokker D.VII. Plastic Supplied by WNW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »
Wow Gaz, thise props are superb. I think No2 is my favourite but they are all of a very high standard and any of them would be great to use. What a brilliant start! :)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 08:11:20 PM »
Gazza,
 I like your choice of DVII and I also like what you have done with the props. 2 and 3 looks excellent to my eyes.
Would you mind sharing the cutting file? I use Make The Cut software and it should be able to import those lovely prop files.

Happy to pay for the privilege.

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:10:17 PM »
It seems that every day now someone finds another use for a plotter. This one is brilliant! My personal favorite is #3 but All look great! I will follow this build with interest!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 01:55:24 AM »
Nice start there, Gaz! The engine looks absolutely fine, and the props are brilliant! One is my favourite.. I note your great research trying to get the colours right, some good thinking there! Regards, Marc.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 02:34:54 AM »
I agree with the others: superb props and the engine looks good too. Personally I tink that props 1 and 4 are the best - just to make your final choice more difficult!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 09:52:55 AM »
I'm taking Stephen side on props 1 and 4 , top notch and very convining . Nice clean work on the engine as well .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
   Thank you for the great replies!  TBH, number 3 had been my favorite until this morning when I had a quick look before work.  I'll let them rest awhile and maybe play with them some more, later.  There is a six layer prop used by the Fokker, too.  But I don't know if I can find sticky enough masking for the minuscule amount of contact area required.

The thickness of the props at the center is only 4MM.  That means that each of three loops would have a maximum thickness of slightly less than .6 of a mil.  Though the cutter can do it, I don't know that the masking material would hold after the necessary fumbling to get them all aligned properly.  But...  since I still have 32 WNW props to go with only 8 kits....  I'll have a go.

Offline FAf

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 03:19:09 PM »
Fantastic use of the plotter and plastic props! Could you perhaps show/explain a little more about the process? Or is it as simple as cutting masks and placing them on top of eachother?

I can't choose between the four of them... maybe #2?!

Cheers Fredrik

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »
Very nice scheme for a unique model. I like all four props, and it will be nice to know more about the making.
I recently bought a cutting plotter as well, but I'm still reading the manual and didn't used it yet. Following with interest and fun.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Bill_S

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »
Nice clean work on the engine, Gaz! I can't decide which prop I like the best, though. I'll be following with interest...

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 01:46:26 PM »
Hi Gaz - those props look fantastic. I also have  Silhouette Portrait and you have inspired me. Would you be willing to share the file you created? I'd like to try and downsize what you've done to 1/48 or 1/72 scale.

Great stuff!

BC

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 04:13:00 PM »
Fantastic use of the plotter and plastic props! Could you perhaps show/explain a little more about the process? Or is it as simple as cutting masks and placing them on top of eachother?

Cheers Fredrik

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

Brad, I sent you a PM.

Fredrik,
   It's pretty simple actually.  The masks are simple loops and are just applied to the props in the way I wanted....  mostly.  The problem is wrapping around the propeller edge.    Sometimes you have to sever the mask and use a little blutack to fill in the gap. 

Gaz

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »

Cheers Fredrik

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

Brad, I sent you a PM.

Fredrik,
   It's pretty simple actually.  The masks are simple loops and are just applied to the props in the way I wanted....  mostly.  The problem is wrapping around the propeller edge.    Sometimes you have to sever the mask and use a little blutack to fill in the gap. 

Gaz

Thanks for the file, Gaz!
You will be honoured as and when I use them.

Cheers!
von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 01:48:20 PM »
Hello friends,
    I haven't made a lot of progress.  With another build going, and all of the detail painting required for the Fokker's cockpit have slowed me down.  Here's the seat area with flying wires.  I still have to add the aileron cables.  I've noticed in close up photos that the aileron cables don't seem to be very tight, and have a turnbuckle not very far from the pilot.

The seat belts are HGW cloth belts with PE buckles and hardware.  I like them much better than PE belts!  The canvas seat is modelled without the cushion as I expect any prudent pilot would want a parachute...  I know I would.  The seat is weathered with oils and pigments in hopes of giving a used appearance.  I also used pigments on the floorboards to look like a small amount of dry, gray dirt.

Thanks for looking!