Author Topic: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model  (Read 12228 times)

Offline ermeio

Re: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2020, 07:43:54 AM »
I agree with  you, Bob
Marco starts from Marek's models but he makes them look real and well worn.
Even his own models are spectacular.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2020, 08:26:47 AM »
Looks awesome, Bob.  Love the top wing.  You nailed it.

Speaking of nailing, I bet there is a rust streak on the nails holding your wood together all due to Marco.  If only we were as talented.  Building his models is just our cross to bear!  ;D

Nice job...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2020, 09:32:46 AM »
Bob , most impressive so far , those wings are awesome !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2020, 04:02:57 AM »
Thanks all!  I've added the gun blisters and muzzles (wire) to the fuselage:

Now the struts are done and I have her in sitting in the jig:

The original struts proved a tad too short (likely some mishap in prior construction), so I just copied the backup sheet on a color copier at 107% enlargement, and made another set--annoying, but I believe effective.  I will get to assembly soon, but even with the jig I always seem to have drama with struts and wings (the Parasol was a rare exception).  We'll see how this goes.  I just have to remember to take my time and get things lined up in the jig first. 

Cheers,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2020, 07:22:23 AM »
Bob
I just love the valve springs. Not that I don't just love everything about this model, what Matt has panted and what you have built. Y'all make a great team.
I know it has been posted before and I saved it, but it was on the computer the cat killed and I no longer have it. Can you please tell me the name of the jig you use? The card model I'm currently working on is not getting both wings on straight without some sort of jig.

This has been such an enjoyable build to follow.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2020, 11:47:06 AM »
 :) :) :) :) :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2020, 11:58:22 PM »
Thanks sp & Terri.  Sp, I will check on the brand of this jig, but there may be better ones out there.  I struggle with this one because I find it difficult to make fine adjustments because every pivot point is secured by a Phillips-head bolt and nut, meaning you need to insert a large screwdriver to make certain adjustments, which I find to be very limiting and bothersome, particularly with a model in harness (so to speak).  I will let you know as soon as I can check it, assuming it is marked. 

Well, speaking of jigs and wings, I managed to get the top wing on without too much trouble, and the cabanes added as well.  I tried a different approach (for me) and it worked pretty well.  After drilling rigging points and adding von Buckle's eyelets and some of the EZ-Line rigging,  I glued the main struts to the underside of the top wing and used templates to get close to proper alignment.  After letting them dry overnight, I place the top wing on the jig supports and slowly lowered it into position with the strut wires close to the pre-drilled holes in the lower wings, then used tweezers to push them in, with a drop of CA following to secure them and a touch of craft glue to reinforce the joint.  After that dried, the cabanes were added with tweezers.  All of this seemed to work, and here she is, ready for the rigging to be completed before the landing gear is added:

Looks within tolerance to me, although the wing cutout in front of the cockpit could probably sit a bit higher.  Remember my original thought that the first set of struts was too short?  Well I was wrong and the longer struts I made were way off, so I went back to the originals.  They work pretty well actually, but some prior misstep likely leaves them just a tiny bit short.  Or maybe it's just my imagination.  I'm satisfied with it though, and like the overall look of the aeroplane.

Now, finish the rigging and then on to the wheels and langing gear assemblage.  I am going to try using the kits paper wheel inserts, but with rubber O-rings for the tires (you can see them on the bench in some of the photos).  We'll see how I make out with that.  I am not pressing my luck with the prop, and have already located a suitable plastic stand-in from the parts box.  Until next time,

Cheers,

Bob   

Offline Gene K

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2020, 08:17:57 AM »
...  the whole is  like a plastic model, most realistic

Not sure "plastic model" is a high enough benchmark.   ;)

Gene K

Online RAGIII

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »
That is an absolutely Gorgeous biplane! Your work on this one is Outstanding!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2020, 01:05:51 AM »
Holy Buckets, Bob.  That's a looker!  Great job on the struts.  Yours look so neat.  Mine are usually folded messes with seams. 

Awesome job!

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2020, 03:23:21 AM »
Thanks Gene, Rick & Dan for your kind comments.  Dan, I wasn't sure about the struts, but they look okay. I found an artist's marker at Hobby Lobby which is a good match for the silver gray, and it hides a multitude of sins! 

The wings are now rigged with EZ-Line and von Buckle's eyelets for the main attachment points.  Nothing fancy, as I have trouble successfully mating turnbuckle tubes and elastic line (which lacks the rigidity to snake through a tiny brass tube like monofilament does).  I think the EZ-Line puts less stress on the light paper structures than more traditional rigging, and it looks pretty good although I miss the turnbuckles. 

On to the undercarriage, parts of which are shown on the bench here:

I'm getting close on this one now, but have to get the prop painted and stained and details added, so it will probably be a few days depending on how much time I can spend at the bench.  This is a nice looking aeroplance and beautifully painted  by Marco, so I'm really looking forward to the finish.  Until then,

Cheers,

Bob     

Online RAGIII

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2020, 04:18:53 AM »
The rigging looks superb! No turnbuckles needed to look terrific, JMHO!
RAGIII

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2020, 05:22:56 AM »
Thanks Rick!  I have gotten her up on her legs: 

I think I got the forward struts attached a bit too far under the fuselage (they should be right at the juncture of the side and bottom), but I am not going to bother changing it as it will look fine as is. 

I am now working on the wheels and prop.  For the wheels, I decided to borrow Dan's idea of rubber O-rings.  I have used the x-acto circle cutter to cut out the inside disc of the wheels from the kit parts after they were glued to 1/32 balsa.  With a little sanding they fit nicely inside the O-rings and were affixed with craft glue.  For the wheel covers I color copied the kit parts onto regular copy paper and then used the circle cutter again, then cut a small wedge out of the cover and added a small gluing strip behind one side.  I then pulled the sides of the cover together to provide the conical shape of the wheel sides.  This will fit right over the wheel core inside the rubber tires.  I have airbrushed the tires gray and am letting them dry before proceeding.  Here are the steps:

The outer covers (with the crosses) are already completed here, and obviously the tire/wheel assemblies have not yet been painted.

Wedge cut from cover.

Gluing strip added.

Ready to form.

Only one more to do.

These should look pretty good once they are affixed to the wheels.  I'll have more on the wheels shortly, and the prop as well.  Almost there!

Cheers,

Bob

Online RAGIII

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2020, 10:49:41 AM »
Awesome !
RAGIII

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2020, 12:40:01 AM »
Thanks Rick! 

Here she is completed, except for the prop which is still drying from the oil stain.  Once that is dry and coated with clear orange and the boss painted, she will be complete.  Here are some shots from the bench.  I think the wheels turned out pretty well.  I am still amazed that this model is made of mostly paper except for some detail bits.  Marco's artistry in creating these beauties is true mastery!  I love the Autumn Mottle camo and natural wood fuselage. ;D

Here's the prop, ready to go under the drying cover.  It's a plastic cast off from the parts box that had the correct shape.  I painted it Tamiya Desert Yellow, then tried a technique that I have not used before--artists color pencils.  I chose a red brown shade and followed a photo of a Heine prop for the laminations.  I am satisfied so far, but we'll see how it looks when complete.  I'll get to the orange clear later this week, and I think I have some AH prop decals around somewhere, leftover from my Lloyd C.V build a few years ago. 

Probably just one more update from here, then over to completed models soon.  It's been a fun journey, and thanks to all who shared it! 

Cheers,

Bob