Author Topic: Holt 75 Tactor and 8-inch Howitzer Build Log  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Holt 75 Tactor and 8-inch Howitzer Build Log
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 12:48:35 AM »
The engine surprised me a bit with it's detail. I was quite impressed with it built up, straight out of the box. I had considered adding plugs and wires but those are included and after the engine is fully constructed, hardly visible, so I didn't see the point in replacing it with something more detailed. The engine fits perfectly with the radiator tank in their box.

With the engine test fitted in place, I decided to ensure that the replacement roof would line up with it. As the centre roof support beam is molded onto the underside of the kit supplied roof, it required adding one from strip stock to the roof frame.

With the frame in place, I added the exhaust stack to the engine and checked to make sure it lined up with its hole in the new roof. It did!

Images showing rolled or scrunched up curtains on the four sides of the roof frame are commonly seen, so I decided to add that detail. I used Tamiya Quick Type epoxy putty and straps made from strips of masking tape.

NOTE: Bear in mind here that the roof structure and radiator are only dry fitted in place in these images so they aren't perfectly level.

The figure is from the Stalingrad line, painted with oils and Vallejo acyrlics. At this juncture, I hadn't decided on its final position.

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 02:20:24 AM »
Great show! I love it..

Kent

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 02:33:31 AM »
I have just gone through your posts and am as impressed as ever with your Modeling skills! You are turning this one into a Masterpiece! The roof is Most impressive as is the figure !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 12:18:05 AM »
Great show! I love it..

Kent

That's good to hear Kent. You never know how these build logs might be received on an aviation site.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 12:18:55 AM »
I have just gone through your posts and am as impressed as ever with your Modeling skills! You are turning this one into a Masterpiece! The roof is Most impressive as is the figure !
RAGIII

Thanks RAGIII!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 07:50:44 AM »
I’m enjoying it to! This has been on my wishlist for ages and your build is providing lots of great tips! Cheers Matt

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »
I’m enjoying it to! This has been on my wishlist for ages and your build is providing lots of great tips! Cheers Matt

Glad to hear it might be helpful Matt. Just be prepared for a lot of cleanup.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 10:32:05 AM »
Excellent progress Chris ,

I like the detail in the kit , that engine is really nice and the curtins are a nice touch . :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 10:53:57 AM »
Excellent progress Chris ,

I like the detail in the kit , that engine is really nice and the curtins are a nice touch . :)

Terri

Thanks Terri!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Edo

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 04:17:26 PM »
I don’t know how I missed this thread before, but i’m glad i discovered it now as it is a great build log and and a source of inspiration!
i can’t wait to see this unfold!
ciao
edo

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 08:13:07 PM »
I don’t know how I missed this thread before, but i’m glad i discovered it now as it is a great build log and and a source of inspiration!
i can’t wait to see this unfold!
ciao
edo

Thanks Edo!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2020, 07:12:24 AM »
Chris.

Nice work !  ...looks GREAT !!  Now I just want to see it painted and weathered =).

Paul

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »
Chris.

Nice work !  ...looks GREAT !!  Now I just want to see it painted and weathered =).

Paul

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »
Superb!

:o
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 09:12:08 PM »