Author Topic: If Roden resume production of new WW1 kits, what subjects would you buy?  (Read 35489 times)

Offline macsporran

Re: If Roden resume production of new WW1 kits, what subjects would you buy?
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2020, 05:10:33 PM »
I still think that if they did their own Albatros D.V and Fokker D.VII versions, they would sell a ton of them ....

Nice thought, but it would be a risky investment to tool up for a new Albatros D.V or Fokker D.VII knowing that the WNW moulds are out there somewhere and may resurface one day, perhaps at knockdown prices!
Sandy

Offline Dwaynewilly

« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
I still think that if they did their own Albatros D.V and Fokker D.VII versions, they would sell a ton of them ....

Nice thought, but it would be a risky investment to tool up for a new Albatros D.V or Fokker D.VII knowing that the WNW moulds are out there somewhere and may resurface one day, perhaps at knockdown prices!
Sandy

Two things regarding that. Is that a risk if the WNW or their molds re-emerge? Yes it is. But let me ask this, how many companies make Bf109's, Spitfires and Mustangs? The other thing is in regards to whether Sir PJ will ever let his babies go. If you read the interviews with the folks who were there and those who know him, the likelihood of that happening is remote. If I were going to take a risk and invest in the tooling to make kits, I would want to invest in a sure winner, and Albatros D.V's and Fokker D.VII's have proven sales to back them as choices. But make no mistake though, you are right when it comes to those choices being a risk.

Dwayne

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2020, 10:03:22 PM »
Wingnut kits were so good, I would buy them even if I wasn't jazzed about the subject.  They were just so damn good I had to have it. 
in that case you should seriously check out Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire, Mosquito, Zero, Mustang and Corsair kits. somewhat different philosophy but on that level. i'm kinda the opposite, i'm all about the subject. but WWI is my primary interest.

what about a nice 1/32 Albatros D III Oeffag, so I can use some of the sweet Aviattic Sworl decals.   And what about a 1/32 Breguet 14.  I love USAS Roundels so that would be something I could paint them on.
OEFFAG is top of my wish list, Breguet 4th (after Hanriot and DH.4). so, i agree. emphatically. my Breguet might end up being Thai markings, they flew them around here in the 20s.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2020, 05:04:57 AM »
Wingnut kits were so good, I would buy them even if I wasn't jazzed about the subject.  They were just so damn good I had to have it. 
in that case you should seriously check out Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire, Mosquito, Zero, Mustang and Corsair kits. somewhat different philosophy but on that level. i'm kinda the opposite, i'm all about the subject. but WWI is my primary interest.

As nicely detailed as the WNW kits are, they aren't on the level of the Tamiya super kits you referenced.

Those are the best aircraft models ever made in 1/32 scale, though some are better than others.

The Zeros have some annoying gimmicks to them that Tamiya eliminated in later releases, for example.

I think the best model kit I have ever made, any subject matter, any scale, is the Tamiya F4U corsair in 1/32.

Sublime!

It is an interesting topic of conversation: do you build for the excellence of the kit/experience, or do you build for the subject matter?

If you can get both at the same go, that's great!  A lot of the time, you can't.

Both approaches have their merits.

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2020, 10:22:20 AM »
It's astonishing really that a decent 1/32 Oeffag DIII (quickly passing over the Battleaxe offering) hasn't been available to date.I'm sure plenty of us are now itching to try  out Richard's gorgeous swirl decals!
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
It's astonishing really that a decent 1/32 Oeffag DIII (quickly passing over the Battleaxe offering) hasn't been available to date.I'm sure plenty of us are now itching to try  out Richard's gorgeous swirl decals!
Cheers,
Dave.

+1 on that!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline zavod44

« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »

As nicely detailed as the WNW kits are, they aren't on the level of the Tamiya super kits you referenced.

Those are the best aircraft models ever made in 1/32 scale, though some are better than others.

The Zeros have some annoying gimmicks to them that Tamiya eliminated in later releases, for example.

I think the best model kit I have ever made, any subject matter, any scale, is the Tamiya F4U corsair in 1/32.

Sublime!

It is an interesting topic of conversation: do you build for the excellence of the kit/experience, or do you build for the subject matter?

If you can get both at the same go, that's great!  A lot of the time, you can't.

Both approaches have their merits.

I do some of both, Some aircraft are so great they just need to be built.  Generally I'm inspired by a subject.  I will say this, I am a 1/35th armor builder, but WNW was so fantastic, I just had to buy these kits and start building them.  It was a very difficult thing to totally switch gears, and not just because of the different skill set, but the reference library was the worst part.  I had no reference whatsoever.  I didn't even know what reference existed or who made it.  Common terms that are second nature to this genre meant nothing to me.  It's been a lot of work to get to this point.  But doing all kinds of models, not just one thing has opened my mind to many different techniques.  That Corsair you speak of is a great kit.  I also love the Zoukei Mura Horten 229 and the Ta-152 H-1. 

Also can't someone at least do a conversion for the Oeffag?  Isn't it basically the front cowling?

Offline zavod44

« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »
Roden must have the data for the molds, maybe they could modify.  Might be a good one to ease themselves back into the water with......

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »
A good article here explaining the differences:https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=3198

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2020, 12:59:49 PM »
Cheers,
Dave.

+1 on that!
    +2 on that....(sworl decals) and Richard would be plenty happy about that as well....and again, our world is sorely lacking generally in all things Austro-Hungarian 1/32ly scaled...to beat a dead drum.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »
Cheers,
Dave.

+1 on that!
    +2 on that....(sworl decals) and Richard would be plenty happy about that as well....and again, our world is sorely lacking generally in all things Austro-Hungarian 1/32ly scaled...to beat a dead drum.

Did the Phoenix’s have Sworls too?

Offline errich45

« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2020, 06:50:27 AM »
I'm with Terri, Pfalz D-VII/D-VIII, and Dr-1!

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2020, 05:32:05 PM »
I recently got their 1/32 Cessna O-1 Bird Dog and O-2 Skymaster (yes, after WWI aviation continued! :P) and if I may offer some constructive input based on these 2017 and 2018 kits.
-a few years ago Roden decals were pretty decent, but these are badly off-register to the point I had to get aftermarket decals
-even if they were usable, those for the O-2 are all modern warbirds, though they are labelled as Vietnam era aircraft. (and one is a different version that should have spinners that are not in the kit)
-if clear parts are included, please put them in a separate bag (I know some WWI kits have acetate sheets, but some, like the SPAD VII have injected parts). On both kits the clear sprues were put in the large parts bags and had parts coming off and badly scratched.
-especially the O-2 has quite a bit of flash, in fact, I think the O-1, though a slightly older tool, looks better, quality-wise. Though the proof will be in the building!
-though I haven't seen it so far in a Roden kit and will probably make them more expensive, some PE for antenna's and seat belts would be nice -no belts at all are included, like the WWI kits.

Otherwise they look like nice little kits, nice panel lines, engine, typical well-done tiny Roden parts (they are IMHO really good that that!) etc -though I wonder how long the undercarriage will hold... Nice touches include metal wires for the antenna's, and the fact that the original O-1 kit did not have an instrument panel decal, but the later O-2 and the also later "Asian service" boxing of the O-1 I have also has one now.
On the other hand, I got both for about 30€ each, so there is a bit of budget left to dress them up with AOA decals and some PE seatbelts :)

Jeroen
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:36:31 PM by jeroen_R90S »

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2020, 08:12:26 PM »
Now that the next 3 kits from Roden have been announced is it relevant suggest the next 3 after that or too early?

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2020, 02:22:32 AM »
Now that the next 3 kits from Roden have been announced is it relevant suggest the next 3 after that or too early?

Did I miss something, what three kits were announced.   :o :o