Author Topic: Aftermarket Engines - Small Stuff vs Lukgraph  (Read 952 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Aftermarket Engines - Small Stuff vs Lukgraph
« on: May 28, 2020, 09:32:16 PM »
Hi
Has anyone had any experiences with the Lukgraph 1/48 3D printed Clerget and Le Rhone engines? I've just seen them on Hannants and they look nice and detailed and don't require as much fiddly assembly as the Small Stuff engines. The question I've got is are they slightly underscale so as to fit the Eduard kits with minimal alteration or are they true to scale like the Small Stuff engines? I really like the Small Stuff engines but from some of the builds I've seen here on the forum one has to sand the cowling tissue paper thin or scratch build a new one to get them to fit.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Bughunter

Re: Aftermarket Engines - Small Stuff vs Lukgraph
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 01:56:23 AM »
Not yet available at Hannants, I think this is very new. So I guess nobody can answer yet your question regarding the size.
Here is the homepage, looks like print on demand in 5 days:
https://lukgraph.pl/en_GB/c/scale-148/45

Looks not that detailed compared to Small Stuff, with more cleanup needed, for nearly the same price.
I will stay with Small Stuff, as long the needed type is available. I like their clever engineering.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Black Max 72

Re: Aftermarket Engines - Small Stuff vs Lukgraph
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »
Thanks Frank for the reply. I must say your builds with the Small Stuff engines are absolutely exquisite and a big reason why I been considering buying the Small Stuff Oberursel for my Eduard Fokker Dr.1 and E.V, I just don't know how I'd go assembling something so tiny (lots of curse words I imagine! ::)) My Online hobby shop here in Australia (BNA hobbies) did have the pre assembled and painted engines listed as arriving soon but has now changed to discontinued which is a real shame as I thought this way I could have my cake and eat it too in that I could get one of these little beauties without having to worry about my butter fingers stuffing up the assembly! I've also noticed that on the Small Stuff site the Pre-assembled and painted engines (the Oberursels and Le Rhones) are always out of stock so maybe there is a problem at their end(not enough 1/48 engine assemblers perhaps? ;D). On your Flyboys Nieuport 17 I noticed that your turned up a new metal cowling on your lathe but before that did you attempt to thin down the plastic cowling and was it unworkable? I am just trying to get a sense of whether I will be creating more work for myself that is definitely outside my skill level in getting one of these engines. I think I could probably assemble one but I would be pretty miffed if I couldn't put the cowling over it. It would be nice if Small Stuff or some other aftermarket company could come to the party with thin resin cowlings for the Eduard rotaries I think that would go a large way to solving the problem.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD