Poll

What is your best guess regarding the colour of the fuselage on this Fokker D.VII?

Clear Doped Linen (CDL)
Silver Dope
Pale Blue Dope
Other

Author Topic: Fokker D.VII in RAF Markings, Spich 1919 - Trying to Decypher Colour Scheme  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Buffnut453

I found the following images on a militaria auction website (www.emedals.com) and am interested in trying to identify the markings.  One of my relatives flew a Fokker at Spich in 1919 and it's possible this is the airframe he flew.  If it's not the specific airframe, it's probably as close as I'll get. 

Here are the pics:

Wings and Tailplane.  The wings and tailplane appear to be in standard lozenge fabric, with the darker variant on the upper surfaces and lighter on the undersides.  The underside of the upper wing shows what appears to be a series of patched holes along the line of the rear spar.  Perhaps it was opened up for inspection as the aircraft was restored to flying condition?  My guess is that the patches are red dope or something similar.

Cowling.  The cowling appears to wear the factory finish, perhaps in dark green with lilac patches. 

Undercarriage.  The wheels are perhaps dark green or red with blue centres.  The undercarriage appears much the worse for wear.  Aside from the mud, the starboard tyre looks semi-deflated and the wing between the wheels looks damaged.  I wonder if the undercarriage was replaced after the image was taken because it was clearly being prepared for flight...and I wouldn't want to take off or land on that undercarriage.

Fin and Rudder.  The fin in both images is the same shade as the fuselage (more on that below).  In the first image, the rudder doesn't have any markings but in the second, standard RAF stripes have been applied. 

National Markings.  Standard roundels on the upper wings, lower wings and fuselage without white outer ring.  As noted above, the rudder has the RAF stripes.

Fuselage.  The fuselage is causing me the most trouble.  It looks very clean and fresh, perhaps indicating it's been recovered.  The colour is very pale, perhaps indicating clear-doped linen (CDL), pale blue or perhaps silver.  To be honest, I have no clue what colour was used.  I initially thought CDL but other experts have strongly suggested silver dope. 

I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether my initial colour scheme identifications are reasonable.  I'd also welcome any additional thoughts that I may have missed. 

Many thanks,
Mark

Offline Buffnut453

Added a poll regarding the fuselage colour in hopes it elicits some responses.

Offline jeroen_R90S

I'm far from an expert, but I don't think the fuselage is clear linen, it does not look all that transparant, and if you zoom in on the first photo you can see a bit of original camouflage fabric poking between the rear engine panel and where the light colour begins.
It's also a different tint from the roundel-white -neat stuff!

Offline Buffnut453

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for your response.  Despite being "far from an expert", you pointed out something that I hadn't noticed before: the small triangle of lozenge fabric on the fuselage near the cowling.   

I agree the rest of the fuselage isn't white, based on comparison with the roundel.  Others had suggested it wasn't CDL due to the absence of any semi-opaque features.  I had thought the fuselage had been recovered but perhaps we're just seeing the original markings that the aircraft wore while with in German service.  If so, that opens up the aperture considerably for possible colours...and means I'm really in "guessing game" territory. 

Many thanks,
Mark

Offline jeroen_R90S

Could be... I've seen some photo's showing a difference between whites as well, so usually I don't rule out anything too soon! (an example is my D.VII (Alb) in the colours of Robert Greim, the rear fuselage was painted white, but it was less white than the cross surrounds)

Good luck with the guessgame! :)

Jeroen

Offline Monty

Lovely photographs, Mark, and an interesting story! Don't be too disturbed by the lack of responses to your poll, the chances of being wrong and getting shot down in flames is just too dreadful! As with many of these old colour schemes it's a guessing game, your guess is as good as any! Have fun! Regards, Marc.

Offline Buffnut453

Lovely photographs, Mark, and an interesting story! Don't be too disturbed by the lack of responses to your poll, the chances of being wrong and getting shot down in flames is just too dreadful! As with many of these old colour schemes it's a guessing game, your guess is as good as any! Have fun! Regards, Marc.

Thanks Marc.  I wish I'd seen the pictures before they were sold...I'd certainly have bought them. :(  I'm just glad I found them while the online copies were still accessible. 

I agree this is a guessing game, and it's made harder by some of the more exotic schemes worn by German aircraft.  The observation that Jeroen made about the triangle of lozenge fabric made me wonder if the light-toned fuselage may date from the aircraft's German service.  However, if that was the case then the fin and rudder in the first image should be white, per standard German markings.  Notwithstanding the tonal difference with the white of the fuselage roundel, I'm wondering if the fuselage might be white with the darker shade being reflective of different dope types or older dope on the fuselage compared to the roundel. 

The guessing continues....

Cheers,
Mark