Author Topic: Demise of a Pup  (Read 16883 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Birth of a Pup
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 04:12:52 AM »
I have been working on the doped linen. I'm not 100% happy, but I'm as close as I'm going to get without losing the plot.
Cheers,
Puppy Von Bucky  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 04:19:01 AM »
Great build so far, Sopwith Pup is always a cool subject and yours is looking very nice.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RichieW

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 06:11:50 AM »
I love the doped linen effect you've achieved Bob. You must be at least 99% happy with it. I must learn from your accepting that it is as close as you will get without losing the plot, I've been losing the plot a little recently! Time to crack on then! :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 07:13:53 AM »
Now that is DOPE!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2020, 08:10:10 AM »
Now that is DOPE!
RAGIII

;D
 ;)
Thank you, Rick!
That made me smile.

Cheers!
vB

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 05:52:04 PM »
Very nice von B.!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
That is dope Bob , nothing wrong with your shade at all and nice job on the shading  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Jimbo

• James Harr Model Maker
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »
Wow fantastic Bob, I think your CDL looks super. I just finished Arthur Gould Lee’s No Parachute this past weekend, a smashing read. I will also therefore be doing ‘Chin Chow’ when the time comes. I highly recommend the read, it really puts you in the back seat, as it were....

Jimbo
Under construction:

Wingnut Wings Roland C.II

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2020, 07:57:54 PM »
Wow fantastic Bob, I think your CDL looks super. I just finished Arthur Gould Lee’s No Parachute this past weekend, a smashing read. I will also therefore be doing ‘Chin Chow’ when the time comes. I highly recommend the read, it really puts you in the back seat, as it were....

Jimbo

Thank you Terri  :-*

Jimbo,
Yes, I find Gould Lee's books to be up there with the finest memoirs of the Great War aerial conflict. 

Reading his book, Open Cockpit, I rediscovered this small, but tricky event high up in the cloud ladened skies. His description of the 'Dark Brown Pup'  has pushed me to the browner side of PC10. I can't argue with a man who was there, so brown it is!

I swung south, and luck was with me still, for there, half a mile away were three F.E.2ds. I pelted towards them, fired a red light, pointed to the Huns, the leader pilot saw, waved, and they followed me back to the cloud. But by the time we reached it the Albatroses had vanished, upon which I felt a complete fool. I drew close, gave the washout, they waved in acknowledgment, and went on with their job. I thought, How I’d hate to fight in a pusher, sitting in a sort of open bath-tub, projecting out in front of the wings, exposed to wind and weather, just like the aged Rumpeties I learned to fly on. It gave me the shivers to think of it. While all this was happening, my cloud, and by now I rather felt that it was mine, had moved a long way eastwards with the wind, and me with it. I was miles over Hunland, alone, with no ammunition, and at the dangerous height of 6,000, cold meat for the most inoffensive Hun. I flew west, slipping furtively from cloud to cloud and keeping ceaseless watch. Suddenly I noticed a machine going west 1,000 feet below me, and I dropped down cautiously after it. It was dark brown—had roundels—it was a Pup! I went closer, and there was Charles not in the least a goner. So we went home together. His gun had jammed at the critical moment, like mine, hence the spin. He was well shot about, but I was lucky, for I had only four bullet holes, all from the silver D–V. Charles didn’t know I’d taken one of his attackers off his tail, and stood me a drink when I told him.

Lee, Arthur Gould. Open Cockpit. Grub Street Publishing. Kindle Edition. 

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2020, 04:09:45 PM »
I'm sure that once you hit it with castor oil, you'll feel much better!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 02:57:38 AM »
    It's coming along very nicely von B, and it's apparent that you're enjoying it a lot! What's not to like here? A Pup, a happy modeller, and a direct link to one of my favorite WW.I Aviation chroniclers, Arthur Gould Lee! His insight and keen recall of detail are quite remarkable and I often go back to both of his books. If he saw dark brown, then dark brown it is!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2020, 04:26:35 AM »
Hi Lance,
 Yes, I am greatly enjoying the Pup. Such a beautiful wee thing.
I'm moving along nicely, which for me is amazing! I do as much as I can in my spare time, but I'm also very busy with Buckle production at the moment, which must always take center stage over modeling, and rightly so!

Well, I had better carry on...
Cheers,

Brown Pup In The Ring  ;)

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »
I came up with my version of PC10 for this Pup using Tamiya Nato Brown[XF68] 5 parts to 3 parts Field Grey [XF65], also from Tamiya.

I'm very happy with the tone. Post highlights will be added later.

Cheers,
Bob
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 03:33:28 AM by bobs_buckles »

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2020, 05:52:05 PM »
Lovely color Bob! I will have to keep that mix in Mind.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »
That is a convincing shade of Brown.  I'd have no idea how to weather it...  so I'll watch and learn.