Author Topic: Filtering paint to be airbrushed.  (Read 1225 times)

Offline smperry

Filtering paint to be airbrushed.
« on: May 04, 2020, 02:41:11 AM »
What is the consensus on filtering paint before putting it in your airbrush. Specifically acrylic/Pledge mixes, although I airbrush enamels as well. If you do filter, what kind of filter do you use.
TIA
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online RAGIII

Re: Filtering paint to be airbrushed.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:02:56 AM »
I use an old school method. when transferring the paint to be mixed from the container to the mixing jar I use a pair of pantyhose pulled over the top of the jar. It doesn't allow any unmixed pigment through. One can also put a small screen in the cup or jar after mixing.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 05:16:21 AM »
sp.   
    I've used Rick's method on occasion, works like a "hot damn"! I used to use old 35mm film plastic cannisters with a hole cut in the bottom with the hose material stretched over it and taped to the side, sort of a disposable filter. I suppose any small plastic bottle (like a Vallejo Paint bottle) would work just as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 06:03:11 AM »
Thanks y'all. I hadn't thought of panty hose material, but it seems quite workable.
I'm thinking that scrupulous cleaning of paint bottle caps and necks will help, especially on the cheap acrylic colors I tend to use. Walmart is 0.9 miles away, the nearest hobby shop over 70.

I like the idea of a cleanable mixing jar that takes a fresh bit of mesh each time. I'm gonna work on that one.
Thanks again
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 07:24:48 AM »
Never bothered filtering, never had a problem.

Eric

Offline smperry

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »
Eric
That has been the case with me until just this project. I have had to clean yuk from the tip of my airbrush 5 times with 2 colors. Seems two if not 3 things must happen. I gotta filter the paint, I gotta find a better, thinner mix of Pledge to paint and I gotta re arrange my gauges on my CO2 tank so I can readily see the pressure rather than adjusting blindly which ain't workin'.
I was getting used to a reliable airbrush and now not so much. I must pay for my sin of using cheap and readily available paint. Seemingly nothing comes for free.
sp

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
I use a water faucet screen. It has a rubber lip around it and sits very nicely on top of the jar I am putting paint in.

Mike