Author Topic: Revell 1/144 Flower Class Corvette  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Re: Revell 1/144 Flower Class Corvette
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 06:35:00 AM »
That is some beautiful work! Almost tempts me to step out of my winged comfort zone and build a ship... almost  ;D

Great stuff.

BC

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »
Guy

Your corvette is just awe inspiring and outstanding! I love Flower Class Corvettes and have tucked away in a wardrobe an original Matchbox 1/72 scale Flower Class tagged as a retirement project. One day perhaps, but your model is just a real world class showstopper right now.

Re The Cruel Sea, it's one of my favourite books and the movie is loaded on my cell phone to enjoy during a cruise.

Like others I also love ships but make very few. That said I have just bought a Trumpeter 1/350 scale HMS Dreadnought in pre-WW1 mode. Your corvette  is a good motivation to begin that project.

cheers

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 06:38:20 PM »
Hi Guy,

Are you going to have a go at the larger 1/72 Corvette kit at some point?

If you want some model ship inspiration take a look for Phillip Reed model shipbuilder, there are about 8 short videos on youtube, each one showcasing a different ship built from scratch. Truly amazing stuff.

Best wishes,

Dave

Thanks Dave, I’m not sure I quite fancy the 1/72 one as it’s a very old moulding now, but in that scale you could really go to town on it!

I’ll check him out, always on the look out for inspiration!

That is some beautiful work! Almost tempts me to step out of my winged comfort zone and build a ship... almost  ;D

Great stuff.

BC

Thanks Brad, your builds are always stellar so I’d love to see what you could do with a ship. Sometimes I find a change in model types is like starting a new hobby  - and it renews all my old enthusiasm again. I’ll probably build one or two then go back to wings again!

Like others I also love ships but make very few. That said I have just bought a Trumpeter 1/350 scale HMS Dreadnought in pre-WW1 mode. Your corvette  is a good motivation to begin that project.

Yes, I love the old dreadnoughts. I think Flyhawk do a lovely brass set for the Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought, again not cheap, but they ooze quality!

I do also think a change improves my skills as I’m forced to try new things/ methods that I wouldn’t have done before!

Guy

Ps the SMS Lützow is progressing - although it’s a whole new ball game in 1/700!

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 11:25:37 PM »
That is coming along really nicely Guy, but I am not sure what size 1/700th looks like other than really tiny.

You must be working with magnification in that small scale?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 12:21:54 AM »
Incredible work! Simply Gorgeous!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 12:50:23 AM »
Thanks Rick!

I am not sure what size 1/700th looks like other than really tiny.

You must be working with magnification in that small scale?

Golly Dave yes! I can hardly see the hull of the ship without!  ;D

I actually ordered a decent headband from an optical company and these have been invaluable, I just couldn’t do it without it.

Guy

Offline Jimbo

• James Harr Model Maker
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 07:51:44 AM »
Hello Guy, what a splendid build of the Flower-Class Corvette! What amazing timing too - I just last month decided to add this kit to my stash. And ordered the Pontos set (and the Pontos 1/200 Missouri upgrade set) from BNA in Australia. Took a month to get to me in the States but finally arrived! These little ships are just so neat and look the business. I, too, also just watched The Cruel Sea, what a great film. I’ll definitely seek out the book as I always enjoy the read better I think. But your build here? It’s so inspiring and I think I may bump this up to my next ship build. Thanks so much for sharing, what a lovely surprise for me.

Jimbo
Under construction:

Wingnut Wings Roland C.II

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »
Ah thanks Jimbo,

Yes, I’ve been a bit gripped by the sea at the moment!

Good luck with yours and hopefully you’ll post them somewhere?

Guy

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 01:47:22 AM »
A truly lovely corvette, Guy! Lots and lots of photo-etch, but it really makes a difference in these tiny scales... ATB, Marc.